Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can my garage wall support a heavy basketball backboard and hoop?

Posted by jake14mw (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 31, 10 at 15:58

Hi All,

I have a home built 13 years ago. It's a colonial with 2x4 construction. There is a unfinished room above my garage.

I recently got a great deal on a basketball backboard and rim taken out of a gym, and plan to mount it from the side of the garage. The backboard came with heavy duty tube metal supports that were attached to the wall of the gym. The backboard is the standard 42x72" tempered glass boards used indoors and weighs about 200 lbs. Each support weighs 55 lbs each. The 2 supports are in the shape of an H, and would come horizontally off the garage wall, one at 10' and the upper one at 13' up. They also came with chains that would attach higher up on the wall. The lower support would attach at about the ceiling of the garage, and the upper one above that in the "attic" area of the garage. I bought a 2x8x10 that I have put against the inside of the studs in the attic, and plan to attach everything with 1/2" 8" long bolts through the wall. I am thinking that I won't have any structural problems, but wanted to run it by people here. Anything I should be concerned with or concious of? Thanks for any ideas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can my garage wall support a heavy basketball backboard and h

The chains will reduce some of the "rotational moment" or load cause by the static weight of the backboard, so the longer the chains, the better. Within reason, of course.

The upper legs will want to pull away from the wall, the lower legs will try to push the wall in.

Anything you can do to prevent the "H" supports from resting just on the sheathing (ie, not backed by framing; a stud or a rim joist) will help. Were the "H" supports just against the sheathing, it could give a reverberating "drum" effect when the ball hits the rim or backboard.

o

Thanks for your reply. What you wrote matches what I was thinking, especially regarding that the upper supports would be wanting to pull away from the wall, and the lower supports would be trying to push in. For this reason, for the upper supports, I have put a 2x8 10 feet long inside the garage attic that the support would be bolted through to, in order to spread the load out along the wall. And for the lower supports, I bought a PT 2x6 6 feet long to put on the outside wall of the garage that the bolts will go through to the other side.

As long as I have things braced this way by spreading the load and not having anything bolted to sheathing, with six contact points in the wall supporting the weight, I don't think 300 lbs is too much to ask a wall to support, right?

o

You forgot to add the weight of a 150# boy hanging on the rim.

o

Geez. So what's the plan to get the rim to exactly 10 feet high, and all level and plumb with a beast like that? You should secure it using bolts w/nuts (not lag screws).

o

A permanent "no hanging on the rim" sign will be mounted and enforced! Having it permanently at 10 feet and not adjustable down should help with that situatio, but it is a good point! I have measured everything 3 times trying to work it so that I can get the rim as close to 10' exactly as possible. I have everything measured so that if things come horizontally off the house correctly that the rim will be at 10' 1", figuring that it will want to sag some. The chains to the top have those adjustable couplings where you can move the screw thread to adjust the length, so I'm hoping that will work for that, but it won't be easy.

The latest thing I was thinking was that it would be much easier to mount the brackets to the backboard on the ground, and then lift the whole thing that has to be just mounted to the wall than mount the brackets first and have to then mount the backboard to that where it would be away from the wall. Obviously, it's heavier to lift that way but just working against the wall with the brackets would be easier. Any thoughts on that?

o

I don't see a "no hanging" sign as a long term solution. Rules are eventually tested, then broken. Either install it to handle plenty of weight (more backing in the wall, plus bolts) or it's not worth the risk - just my two cents.

I'd probably erect some sort of scaffold for the install.

o

Well, we did the install yesterday, and it came out great. Everything is rock solid. I'm attaching a link to a couple of pics. Thanks for everyone's comments.

http://www.zenfolio.com/markwright/p699330835/edit

Here is a link that might be useful: link to pics

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here