Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding Kitchen Counterspace

Posted by lnsc (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 13 at 15:52

We are thinking of putting an offer on a home that I like but wish had more kitchen counterspace. I've attached a copy of the floorplan (the house is not new construction, I just have the floorplan from the builder's website). I was thinking of adding an penisula perpindicular to the bank of cabinets with the sink, on the side nearer to the breakfast nook.

Just thought I'd post here to see if anyone had any suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: House Floorplan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding Kitchen Counterspace

The thing that would make the kitchen function better would be to recess the fridge into the current pantry area and put a pantry where the fridge is. All of the traffic into and out of the fridge walks right through your prep zone and will be annoying as all get out. You don't have enough room to add the peninsula unless you give up seating in the nook and take it over for additional kitchen. Adding a peninsula would encroach on it's already too small space.

o

I agree with GreenDesigns. Also, if you moved the sink and DW to the opposite wall, and put the stove and pantry on what is now the sink wall, you'd have slightly more counter space for prep beside the sink. (Unless you need to keep the stove where it is for venting.)

If you're not interested in moving everything in the kitchen, you might consider a movable table, 2x4, 3x5, whatever size will work for you, that could be parked opposite the eating nook, against the end of the cabinet, and powder room wall.

It could be pulled forward to act as the peninsula that you mention, or pushed over by the stove. When not in use for prep, it could be used a buffet service for the eating nook, or for the family room, for entertaining. The powder room wall could be built out, so that the cart isn't visible from the family room, if you want more of a separation.

You can also post your questions on the Kitchen forum, linked below. Welcome to GardenWeb!

Here is a link that might be useful: GW Kitchens

o

Thanks for the replies!

I realized I failed to note that the breakfast nook is bumped out 2 foot from the floorplan on this particular house. I don't know if that would make expanding the counters more feasible?

I will post the question in the Kitchen Forum. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here