Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kwhitfield83

Tiny Laundry Room Remodel

kwhitfield83
11 years ago

Hello, We've just bought our first house together... well, actually it's three houses. We bought a triplex. And I'm freaking out. Just a little. Anyways, I want to use a stacking washer/dryer. BUT our unit in the triplex is very small and the laundry "room" is really just a walled off space between the kitchen and garage. It's very common, I'm probably not describing very aptly. It's part of the house, not the garage. There is a doorway from the kitchen into the laundry area, then the laundry area, a doorway into the garage and then the garage. In the laundry area, there is room on either side for one appliance (using the standard, non-stacking appliances). Oh screw it. I've attached a picture. Which may or may not be helpful. All you can really see is the doorway from the kitchen, a little bit of the washing machine (the current tenants have a non-stacking pair), a blue fuzzy thing and my husband doing some kind of jig in the doorway to the garage.

I want to move the dryer vent to the side with the water hookups (because I'm assuming the water hookups would be MUCH more difficult to move than the dryer vent) and then stack the appliances. This would allow us to use the side that's currently allotted for the dryer as a pantry (after installing some shelves, of course)... or an entryway/coat-rack area... haven't really gotten that far in my scheming.

The only problem with my flawless plan to create more storage in our little new home is that I have no idea how to move a dryer vent. And, since we're between two other units, there is no exterior wall handy to just cut through and insulate for a handy new dryer vent. Has anyone done this to their generic laundry room before? Can you give me any pointers? Can you tell me how? Can I just shoot a dryer vent out into the garage? Is this seemingly simple job one that I'm going to need to hire someone for, or can I in fact accomplish this my handy little self? Also, please keep in mind anything we do will need to be "up to code" since we will eventually be leasing out this unit to renters. Thanks!

Comments (2)