Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klau_gw

How to proceed with hiring hw floor refinisher

klau
11 years ago

This is the first time we are hiring a contractor to work on our home. We are looking for someone to finish the oak floor for the entire downstair, stairs, and install new oak flooring in the den to match the rest of the house. We met with multiple contractors and found one we like. Here are a few of our first-timer questions. Any input would be appreciated!
-He is suggesting one coat of stain and three coats of synteko finish.We are going from a neutral stain to a dark stain. Is one coat of stain typical?
-The contractor is planning to install white oak select flooring in the den. Should I be asking him for the brand?
- Is it appropriate to ask to visit the contractor's current job sites to view his work?
- What essential items should I make sure are included in the contract: start/end date; job description; quote; brands of materials used; payment terms; anything else?
- A paint job to paint the oak baseboards white is also included in the bid. He told me he has a painter who will do the job. Should I ask if that painter has insurance or if the painter will be covered by his insurance?

Thanks

Comments (2)