Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not happy about registers on the ceilings.

Posted by winesnob (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 15:01

They are putting in my new AC unit today, a new Trane. We got new duct for the system also. My ceiling is so busy with all the new can lights, I wanted to put nickle registers from RW, they are reasonable and would tie in nicely with my polished nickle faucets. AC contractors says that I need the registers on the ceiling because of drafts and whistling noise. Is this true? Would you want yours on the wall or ceiling. They put a new return in the bedroom also and there is another outside the door in hallway.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not happy about registers on the ceilings.

Does not make sense to me. Ok for cooling,since cold air sinks, but silly for heating.

And I never heard of whistling and drafts being caused by ducts exiting at or near floor level.

If that were my installer, they would have to show me a WHOLE lot of proof for those claims.

o

As far as color, I like them to blend in wherever they are and paint them accordingly. I'd never want to see a nickel colored register just because the fixtures in the room were nickel because I don't want to view the register as something to notice. I'd rather it just disappear into the background visually.
We went through a lot of trouble to get our registers on the ceiling in our current build so I'm smiling at your disappointment! The "normal" way that it's done here in VA is to put floor registers on the upper floor and ceiling registers in the basement so we were making them do something that was out of the norm.

My take on this is that it's mainly for cost and ease of installation. Everyone kept telling me that it was because of the heat rising, but noone seemed to extrapolate this principle to the basement! :)

I was adamant about not having them on the floor so that furniture placement wouldn't be compromised and I wouldn't get dirt and dog hair in the registers. No wonder there is a big business in cleaning ducts!

We sized the systems accordingly to take into account the extra ductwork required. Also we were very anal about the locations in regard to ceiling lights and cans.

o

the hole for registers is 13 1/2 SQ and I guess that is part of the eye pop for me. I was used to seeing the standard size ones. I am sure it will be fine and what you have said about the blending in - I get that and agree. My bedroom just got 8.6 feet wider so today was the first look, it takes a bit to take it all in after knocking down you bedroom wall. Thanks for your input....and my GC would thank you too. Another issue put to rest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here