Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sun2007_gw

Designers taking too long, call contractors anyway?

sun2007
11 years ago

I am still finalizing plans on a kitchen and bath remodel, and it's not going as quickly as I want. Originally the idea was to have final plans, then get contractor bids, then select a contractor and begin construction.

But because the design phase is taking longer than expected, everything is being pushed out. Does it make sense to start having contractors come out and bid to what we know we want to do? It just hasn't been drafted into a final layout but I have the floor plan, all finishes and fixtures picked out.

Because we're paying two mortgages until this remodel is done, I'm trying to be as proactive as possible. But I don't want to waste anyone's time and want to ensure everyone is bidding apples to apples. It could be another week or two to get final plans from the design team.

Wait for final plans or go ahead and start lining up contractor visits?

Comments (7)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

You can get bids but just keep in mind that none of the contractors will give you a contract or guarantee the pricing until the I's are dotted and the t's are crossed. So you may end up starting all over and the contractors may not be willing to do that.

• sandy952
    11 years ago

Would have been faster and more productive to interview design/build contractors and hire one you like to do the plans. You can then bid them out if you desire. That way you would know for sure the remodeling can be done the way it's designed. Frequently we find that plans done by a designer have to be altered or redone because they don't understand, and aren't trained in, the building process.

At this point, if you pick a contractor I would definitely have them involved with the designer. That way you may be able to avoid building problems later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Uniquity Builders, Inc.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Dam look at that, a member for 2 1/2 yrs spamming that forums!

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

Wonder what the "spif" for the referral is.

• energy_rater_la
    11 years ago

wait unitl design is finalized, otherwise it isn't just
    your time that you are wasting.

you won't get any kind of comprehenisve bid
    until design is complete.

wait a week, when you have finished design in hand
    then put out for bid.
    you could be talking to contractors that you want
    to bid the job.

having conversation open between contractor
    & designer is a good idea. as job progresses
    there will be things that will need discussion.

there quite often are problems between what is
    drawn & what can actually be built.

waiting a week just makes sense to me,
    in the scope of the remodel..it is just a week.
    kind of a warmup for finishing stages wait periods!
    Just kidding...I hope!

best of luck.

• annzgw
    11 years ago

If I were paying two mortgages I'd be lighting a fire under the design team.

• renohaus5
    11 years ago

Its a good idea to start talking to the contractors now. With spring approaching, they may have a busy schedule too, so its a good idea that everybody has a good understanding of each other's schedule. Just tell the contractors up front your situation. Everybody will be happier that way. Best of luck !

If you renovation ideas, you can visit my website. Its got a ton of photos. If you see what you like, please 'Like' me in facebook.

https://www.renohaus.com/portfolio

Here is a link that might be useful: Renohaus