Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clinresga

Oil vs water based poly for hardwoods

clinresga
12 years ago

Just got estimate on new hardwoods. Two installers differ in recommendations for poly: one wants to do water based. Today's installer strongly preferred oil based saying it is much more durable, although it will keep us out of the house for a much longer period of course as it dries.

Does anyone know the real scoop? I'm concerned that the preference for oil based might just be that it's easier for him to put down (fewer coats?). Is there really a significant durability difference?

And are there any other issues? Do they look different? Your advice greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Durability depends more on brand than just type.

Oil based will have a yellow cast that water based may not have (though some add it in).

• clinresga
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Any specific thoughts or recommendations as to brands? Or any source that might help figure out which are best?

• User
    12 years ago

I used oil based Minwax Poly for floors. This is NOT the normal sold in home improvement stores polyurethane.

It needs to be purchased at Sherwin Williams stores.

It is made for unfinished flooring that has been sanded.

The application schedule is to apply the first coat. Wait about 11-12 hours and apply the second coat. Then another 11-12 hours and apply the third coat. 48 hours later, the floor is ready for furniture to be placed but not slid. 30 days and rugs can be put down.

The odor is pretty bad for the first 48 total hours, but almost nonexistent after that.

The oil based added an amber tone, but that is what we wanted for the natural hard maple flooring.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

I used Bona Traffic, a water based poly for commercial applications, over oak stained Provincial. Minimal, minimal smell and fast drying. The matte is a bit more matte than an oil matte, if you know what I mean. If you want a shiny floor ask for a sample of a glossier finish than I used. If you want a more "oil" tone to it, you add Bona Amber (IIRC) for the amber color. Holds up great.

Search for Bona Traffic comments--I think there have been quite a few.

• Jon_dear
    12 years ago

I've refinished more floors than I care to remember. Go with oil based. Yes latex is easier (doesn't smell bad, quick to dry) but doesn't hold up.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Even the oil based products have been altered to reduce solvent content.

• clinresga
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, first, thanks to all for not abusing me for failing to realize there is a GW Flooring forum. Duh. I have hung out for years on the kitchen and appliance forums and just assumed this would be the place to post. Appreciate all of you helping despite the mistake.

At any rate, I did search Bona Traffic and clearly it's the only water-based poly that gets props. Otherwise, oil based is regarded as more durable than other water based polys. Not sure if we'll like the yellowing with the oil, but the floor guy is willing to do some samples so we can see.

Would you reject water based if they can't do Bona Traffic (which I gather requires some expertise, and not all vendors will use it) and go with oil based? The location is second floor hallways and master bedroom, not super high traffic areas, but also the stairways, which do get a lot of traffic.

Finally, can Bona Traffic be used over existing water based poly? It's time to rescreen our kitchen floors, which were done with generic water based (before I got smart and posted on GW).