Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Painting brick fireplace wall--anyone done it?

loves2read
11 years ago

We bought house is FL that has brick fireplace wall. This is brick added after construction--the house itself is concrete block construction--and it is not a structural support to the room/wall...
It probably could be taken down but there is raised hearth all along the wall that is likely too much to remove...
I posted photo on Houzz site and will add link but that site gets innundated with people posting for design help--not sure I will get much constructive advice...

It has been repainted since photo was taken in BM Barbados Sand which is fairly true light tan/beige...
We have two light taupe recliners and a yellow/white toile-type print couch...with a reclaimed wood looking cabinet for the flatscreen to sit on and some small tables with metal legs and wood tops...

I would like to paint entire brick wall white and use seagrass rug or maybe one with yellow to coordinate with couch and add some color.....

Another option would be to sheetrock with thin sections/texture/repaint and use some type of tile or stone for fireplace surround...or replaster most of the wall, leaving just brick surround around fire box...

I would also consider some board and batten type overlay or beadboard painted white...

The house is on Gulf side not too far from beach and could use lot more coastal tone. The owners we bought from did remodeling that used lot of darker colors--dark brown granite in kitchen and cherry Shaker cabinets with gray tile flooring...and this darker engineered flooring like in fireplace room...
We can't replace all that--but we can disguise some of it with rugs and other changes...

Any suggestions on how difficult it is to redo that wall surface appreciated...
we have painted a brick fireplace before--but not tried an entire wall...

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz post[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/fireplace-wall-needs-updating-dsvw-vd~373966)

Comments (3)