Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintedpeggies

no more two-story kitchen! my addition with pics

I posted about us adding a bedroom over the space that was our two-story (useless, haha) kitchen. We just finished and I'm sharing some pics for anyone who wants to peek.

We added a Master bedroom above.

We also closed off the two story foyer and catwalk above to make a loft at top of the steps that will be our home office/library.

The bedroom is still sparse; I need to go shopping now that I have a color scheme and much more room.

I did them as collages to make the uploading a bit easier... Thanks for looking:) ( I have new kitchen pics in the kitchen forum, too, if you want to see it with the new, lower ceiling)

Comments (8)

• scrappy25
    12 years ago

thank you for posting this! I followed this over from your kitchen thread because the change in your kitchen from uncomfortable to welcoming was stunning. This is a great solution for many home built in the 80's with the 2 story rooms that look so cavernous. Great to look at initially, but very uncomfortable to live in! My parents have a 2 story family room and everyone preferentially gathers in the one story eating area next to it.

Can I ask how much approx the cost of doing this was, and the time that it took?
    thank you!

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Wow! Fantastic use of space. You just increased the value of your home, saved money on energy costs, and made it more useful and beautiful all at once. Congratulations.
    Renee

• polie
    12 years ago

Much better!

• poohpup
    12 years ago

Wow! What an amazing change! You did a fabulous job.

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I need major help for my master, though! It is so empty; I think I underestimated how big it would be...all we have is what you see: queen bed and one nightstand. The other walls are empty!

• Susan
    12 years ago

you did such a great job!
    i have a big master too, just barely big enough for all the stuff we like that is.
    first i placed my queen bed in the east corner for the sun and moon rise. the opposite corner holds a big television and tomorrow the carpenters start on the corner fireplace. i'm making it big, to take up the entire corner with raised hearth and large mantel. the tv will be above this.
    at the foot of the bed we have a small book case in between two recliners for tv watching or reading.
    dh has a big l shaped desk in the north corner.

after the fireplace is done i'm chucking the dressers and haveing a wardrobe wall built.
    i also have a nice little secretary which will fit on the wall next to the fireplace. add another bookcase on either side of the bed (instead of bedside tables) and even the 13x23 room is filling up, but we love it.
    we spend almost all of our time in here, so it's pretty comfortable.

• babymcd179
    6 years ago

HI. I too and contemplating a very similar project and came across your post. While it is old, I am hoping some how this will get to you. Can you please repost the pictures or maybe let me know how we can view.