Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splitrock_gw

dropped by second insurance company

splitrock
12 years ago

We had two claims on our homeowner's insrance policy, (the second one a very large claim), within 3 years. State Farm dropped us, then Farm Bureau dropped us after only a few weeks, because they recieved a report from State Farm. We had told the Farm Bureau agent everything, but for some reason they said they would insure us, then cancelled three weeks later.

Does anyone know of a company that is mot too picky about whom they insure? The house has been completely repaired and is in very good condition.

Comments (6)

• worthy
    12 years ago

Try an independent insurance broker.

• Jumpilotmdm
    12 years ago

File a complaint with your state's insurance dept. and get those money sucking bastards to cover you. Making claims should not make you un-coverable unless you're an obvious fraud.

• lynn_r_ct
    12 years ago

I was an independent agent years ago before I became a SAHM so I know how the system works. Any agency you call is only as good as the companies they represent. No point in complaining to the insurance commissioner. Companies decide who they accept as customers and that is their right. Be aware there is an organization called CLUE (Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange)which has records of any homeowner claims anyone has filed. It is similar to the DMV opening up our driving records to auto insurers, so you have to be honest. Although you fixed everything, companies see you as someone that files claims and therefor is a risk for them. Mumbo jumbo I know but that is the way it is.

I feel your pain believe me. I have a 21 yr old son living with us who has a DUI (not proud but that is my reality). Even though his car is in his name on a separate policy also in his name, and the car has been sitting in the driveway for months until he gets his license back, we were dropped by our insurer. There reasoning: as long as he is in our household he has access to the keys for the OUR cars and COULD cause a very large claim because he is a high risk because of his behavior. True, but it put me in a tough position.
    I always touted the "independent agent" benefits but I ultimately went with an Allstate agent. I gave all our policies to him for the appropiate discounts - Auto, Homeowners, and Unbrella. I still paid more but 1)at least they would consider us as customers where many had simply declined and 2)there was an increase in our auto and umbrella it was considerably less than any other quotes I received.

I do not and have never worked for Allstate so I gain nothing with the about statements. We have been with the in town Allstate agency for over one year,their customer service is spectacular and we are beginning to see some reductions in the rates.

Sorry for the novella here and I hope I haven't confused you with all the insurance lingo, but even with all my training I went nuts finding someone who would take us on as customers, so I can't begin to imagine what others go through.

• kaismom
    12 years ago

Years ago, my DH got dropped after a large fire claim of 6 figures which the insurance company paid out and another claim of wind storm damage soon after (couple? years after). He insured with Lloyds of London for a few years until his risk was back to normal. It was an expensive insurance but it is better than naught.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Making claims should not make you un-coverable unless you're an obvious fraud."

It is an increase in the risk exposure of the insurance company.

• Jumpilotmdm
    12 years ago

And is another example of companies treating their customer base like they are just numbers. One day we'll realize it can be good to do business with the little Mom & Pop insurance agent, bank, paint store, hardware store, clothier, attorney, etc. etc.