Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
brick floor?

Posted by KelinMD (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 11:04

Hello, I'm remodeling a 1947 cottage. I'd like things to look as old and original as I can. I'd like to put a brick floor in the mudroom. I've found a veneer on Brick Web that is real brick "flats" on a mesh that supposedly install just like tile. The application is usually walls, but they say they can be used on floors�has anyone ever tried this or have any reviews on this product? I can't do real brick due to the thickness and where it will meet the wood floor in the kitchen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: brick floor?

Typical face brick is porous in order to better adhere to mortar so it is unsuitable for flooring that must resist abrasion, stains and repeated cleaning.

A better choice might be flooring made of dense hard-fired clay in the shape of a paver or a quarry tile. The tile is only 1/2 to 5/8 inch thick.

The clay quarry tile I prefer is called Heather Brown and made by Dennis Ruabon in Wales. They make a 3 5/8 x 7 5/8 tile that is the same size as the face of a standard American brick.

The photo shows a poor choice of joint grout; it should be darker in order to show off the beauty of the tile and to avoid uneven discoloration over time. They are also available with raised dimples or ridges for safety and in other sizes.

Here is a link that might be useful: clay quarry tiles from Wales

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here