Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plumberry_gw

how much credit should we ask for?

plumberry
10 years ago

Our contractor installed premade cabinets, counter and sink in our garage for $1400 (we paid for the home depot cabinets & sink, he picked them up) We probably agreed to too high of a labor fee but it too his guys about 2-3 days and it actually came out decent. We bought 1 large sheet and 1/2 sheet of laminate counter from home depot. They damaged the edge of the laminate so that the surface pattern is stripped on the edge about 2 inches width and 4 inches length
the integrity of the counter itself I don't think is affected. it's just the look - doesn't look new.
they otherwise did a good job installation i'm willing to live with it if we receive a credit but have no idea what to ask for. any suggestions in handling this are appreciated. thank you

Comments (9)

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Ask HD the price to remove and replace, including the cost of the counter, present that to the contractor with the option for him to accomplish the work, at no additional charge to you.

It's called, "marjet value."

• ksc36
    10 years ago

Are you sure the contractor damaged the counter you provided? Was the counter a pre-made post form counter pulled from the racks? If it's on the side edge there are pre-cut pieces you can get to repair it. Things can be confusing when the homeowner buys the materials....

• plumberry
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes, it was a premade post form counter. I met him at HD and paid for the pallet of material. The damage is just a few inches away from a sink so it may not be repairable but I will ask him what he can do.
    Thanks all for your input! very helpful.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

"yes, it was a premade post form counter "

Home Depot "pre-made" formica counters the are "pre-formed" with a bullnose, back-cove and a 4" backsplash, and end caps that install with an Iron. They are also available with 45's on one or both ends.

They also sell particle board, formica, adhesive and a variety of wood and metal which can be applied to the front edge, when the counter is "post-formed," IE, the particle board and formica are cut and fitted, glued and assembled.

• homebound
    10 years ago

Those countertop pieces are inexpensive, and often most of them are damaged on the store shelf. The times I've installed them, I spend as much time picking one without damage to an edge. Also, I think your install cost was very reasonable. (Just my two cents.)

• Vertise
    10 years ago

It sounds like the end of the counter surface, not the edge, being you say a 2" by 4" area. If it were damaged on the shelf they would have easily seen it, and should be checking the material for damage and defects, before installing.

Did they tell you they had damaged it?

For a garage, I don't think a discount is necessary. If it bothers you to look at or you think it will not hold up well over time, then replacement is in order if it is the top surface that is damaged, not edges of a type that can be replaced. I guess if you find you were overcharged for the install, a discount would serve some purpose since they didn't deliver a top notch result..

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 23:44

• mdln
    10 years ago

The amt you paid comes out to $29/hr per worker ($1400 / 3 days / 2 workers / 8hr-day).

• Vertise
    10 years ago

How many cabinets? Was this really a 3 day or a 1 day job?

This post was edited by snookums2 on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 23:05

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

" mdln (My Page)
    The amt you paid comes out to $29/hr per worker ($1400 / 3 days / 2 workers / 8hr-day)."

At what hourly rate?

And what about the 5.3% net, net, that the contractor needs to keep the doors open?