Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mabies_gw

Boxed out windows questions

Mabies
13 years ago

Hi, we will be starting construction soon on our kitchen/DR remodel... wish I had found this site months ago!

We have a smallish house (1600 sf), 1920's 2 story. We are planning on bumping out 2' in the back. The kitchen will be opened up/widened by about 2', taking some of the DR space. There will be a penninsula with an upcounter between the DR and kitchen. Will have a framed opening between the two rooms.

One of the things we are currently considering is including box out windows in two locations:

one, in the kitchen, for our south facing windows to provide a ledge to grow herb or small flowers. I'm looking for photos/thoughts on: height of the sill, depth of the sill, types of sill (match the soapstone counters? natural wood to match our cabinets (we will have white painted trim and cherry wood cabinets.

two, in the dining room, for the two north facing windows. We are very close to the lot line, and could only get approval to extend 10" (we are on the end of the block, so this window looks out onto our neighbor's back yards)... Is there any way this 10" could be used as a window seat for the DR table? seems too small to me, but it would help as then we could move the DR table closer to the window. Right now there is about 3' between the DR table and the edge of the penninsula upcounter).

Thanks for any thoughts!

Comments (3)