Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving in during renovations. Help prioritizing please.

Posted by nancita (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 9:47

Hi all,
We rented an apartment while looking for a new home. We relocated from FL and now are in MA. We found our new home two weeks ago and decided the second floor needs attention...at least, re-plaster walls, sanding old oak floors, possibly moving some walls to accommodate a new bath and washer/dryer.
Our apartmen lease is up May 22 and I can't wait to move in and move on. We decided not to redo the first floor, which has the usual kitchen, dining, livingroom and bath. Is there anything we can do while second floor renovations are happening? We want to paint the first floor walls and baseboards to freshen it up. The reno will be dusty. Should we move into the diningroom and make t our temporary bedroom? I don't look forward to boxes everywhere, but if that's what it takes, we will have to.
Please help on any suggestions to move things along. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving in during renovations. Help prioritizing please.

I would suggest NOT moving in while the renovations are taking place. Extend your lease on a month to month basis until the project is done. There is nothing worse than living with dust filtering down on your head while tradesmen tramp through where you are sleeping to get to the project. If you have children, it will be even worse.

Put the classic Tom Hanks/Shelley Long flick The Money Pit on your Netflix que and put your stuff in storage and live with friends if you can't extend your lease.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here