Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gtrshop

Remodel / Addition questions

gtrshop
14 years ago

Not quite sure if this is considered a "remodel" or a "build" forum question. It's a bit of both...

We're thining about adding a mudroom off the back of our 2 story home. Since it's easy to do with home-design software we've extended our idea to run the entire length of the back of the house...approximately 35 feet. What was the mud room is now a mudroom and kitchen addition.

One of the problems we see already is that the peak of the roof might intersect one or more of the windows off the back of the house on the upper floor. Estimating whether this would actually happen in our case is made more difficult because the home design software can only have 1 plane for the main floor. You'd think that wouldn't be a problem, but it is. Our "main floor" starts a few feet above grade - for no real reason we can see except that is does - and that's fine. We think the mud room can ( and we'd like it to) start at ground level (perhaps simply on a poured pad) at the rear of the house, something that we can't simulate in the home design software.

SO....(after all that)...my question for the builder types here...

I know there are various pitches of roof, ours is a bit steeper than the normal suburban home as we live in a rural area with a pretty significant snow load. What (yes this IS the question) is the height from the top of a wall to the peak of the roof. I guess I'm thinking exterior roof. Perhaps it might be helpful to know the height from the sub-floor to the roof peak, since I can actually measure that outside.

Sorry if my terms aren't industry standard, I'm no contractor, just trying to figure our what will work and what might not.

Thanks

S~

Comments (4)