Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
if we replace subfloor....

Posted by elizawhyza (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 9:12

We are thinking about removing the 1/2" plywood subfloor and replacing it with 3/4" t&g, or advantech. Does subflooring rest on sill plates, and if so, would there be room to fit the extra 1/4"? If we were to add to what is there, would we then just bring the new stuff to the edge of the plates? It would seem less strong that way, but I guess if screwed to the floor joists, it would still be pretty solid.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: if we replace subfloor....

Two schools of thought on that situation.

Yes, most subflooring is installed on the floor joists before walls are built.

I've seen tow different ways to do what you want. The biggest problem is how far from the walls the old subfloor can be removed. That is usually 1&3/4"----the width of the short side of the show(plate) of a circular saw.

One way is to just cut out as much of the old as close to the walls as possible and add the new up to the drywall/wall treatment---adding support blocking where necessary along the two walls parallel to the floor joists. Folks who do it that way say there is no need to add blocking on the walls between the joists because the 3/4" material can support the minimal loads flooring has on the edges.

I don't particularly like that way.

I add blocking(support) completely around the perimeter, simply because it is the better way and it helps eliminate air leaks between the sub floor and what in below that. Much more involved, but doing it right the first time takes less time/money than doing it twice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here