Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theschmett

made in the USA electric screwdriver?

theSchmett
11 years ago

Does anyone know of an electric screwdriver, or any power tools for that matter that are still made in North America? Its not that I think imports are bad products, I'm just trying to support local workers, if by local I can mean "this continent".

Thank you!

Dave

Comments (8)

• geoffrey_b
    11 years ago

Check Makita. I have a drill of their's that USA made (a couple of yrs old).

• millworkman
    11 years ago

As far as I know Makita is and has been for years made in Japan!

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

We have the same concerns and have wound up going with Fein and Festool electric hand tools, which are made in Germany, under the logic that at least we know their workers are being paid a living wage with benefits. And it's super high quality.

As far as I know even Milwaukee tools are no longer made here in the US -- but I'd be glad to hear of anything that is.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Some may be assembled in the US but pretty dam near all the parts are from Japan or imported these days.

• azmom
    11 years ago

Dave,

If every one, especially none Americans, thinks the way you do, many fortune 100 companies will be out of business - they sell American made products all over the world not limited to continental US.

For many people, the reasons they purchase none American made products are because they try to avoid shabby quality and design of some American made products, it is not necessary for wanting to pay lower selling price. Automobile is the one product comes to mind.

If quality is equal, why would we Americans NOT want to purchase American made products? Having easy access to parts and service would be a huge advantage.

I have a Makita electrical screwdriver for years, it is well made, easy to use and in beautiful color (yes, yes for me it is a bonus). It is made in Japan.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

Back in '89 I bought a Milwaukee electric screwdriver, the kind that was articulated in the middle, with something like a 3v battery. What a waste of money, it was close to 200 bucks. I think it was made in the US.
    The small impact driver is the way to go now. The blue 18v Li Makita is my tool of choice.
    Casey

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"And it's super high quality."

And a super high price to go with it.

• User
    11 years ago

Buying tools is really a three tiered program. Hand tools or power tools, it really makes little difference.

Expensive tools make sense if a person is going to be using said tools to make a living. They cannot afford to have tools break during use. Expensive tools usually last longer and require less upkeep. And good tools last a lifetime.

I have hand tools I bought 40 years ago. Still work fine and still have a lifetime guarantee. I have power tools I bought 15 to 20 years ago, used professionally, and are still working fine today.

Middle range price tools are a compromise between the cost of really good tools and crap. There are, unfortunately, a huge range of tools in this area and some are closer to crap than tools.

Then there is the crap tools. Harbor Freight sells cloned cheap tools. Many are so cheap, it is affordable to just buy a new one when the current one breaks.

Now, the type of tool has a huge bearing on the quality being produced.

Electric screwdrivers do not have much of a presence in professional grade tools. Simply because people using pro grade tools have better alternatives.

Electric screwdrivers are a gimmick tool. Something companies make to get DIYers money. A decent model would need to cost over $60---and $60 gets you into the lower end cordless drills, which have more power and greater areas of use.

Bat5tery powered tools are an area where price has great importance. The cheaper tools have cheap batteries that go bad often. And chargers that fry batteries if the battery is left in the charger.

As far as Made in USA, I doubt you will find much, if anything.

Best advice, buy tools that have more than one purpose and buy name brands. Not Black and Decker or Ryobi, but DeWalt/Porter Cable/Makita/Milwaukee/Bosch/etc.

However, if the use you envision is twice a year, or even six times a year, buy the cheapest tool you can find. And be ready to buy another one when it fails.