Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rjlyders

upstairs laundry room

rjlyders
10 years ago

We are trying to plan for the best place to create a laundry room upstairs. Currently our plans are to convert a very large hallway into a large laundry room. I'm now questioning this idea. It seems to create a very strange walk pattern.

In the plans you will see a large central HVAC space. This is where a 2nd servant's staircase used to be that is to be removed in the plans. The HVAC space is needed, but is unfortunately centrally located. I really would like to get the HVAC somewhere else but I am told this is the best place for it.

We need a laundry room, but we don't need such a large space. We could use a smaller laundry area that just fits a stackable unit with a small work space.

I would like to get some of your comments on where you might put a laundry room upstairs in this space. Thanks in advice for your time.

Comments (8)

• rjlyders
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a close-up of the *existing* 2nd floor back hallway area. Notice that this shows the existing 2nd servant stairs that are being removed in the design.

• rjlyders
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a close-up of the *new proposed* 2nd floor back hallway area that now shows a large laundry room. Notice that this shows that the existing 2nd servant stairs have been removed, but HVAC requirements unfortunately take up a lot of that space now.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

If you have a basement, I would move it down there to keep potential water damage out of the living areas.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Why not put it where you have opened up that closet that goes over the stairs between that hall and the family room?

Alternatively, put it where you propose, but open the family room closet nearest the stairs to the stair "landing" so you don't have to walk around everything.

Another alternative it to take the pentagonal closet off the stairs and the family room closet next to it as your laundry space.

I think you have a lot of options, but we need to know a little more about the structure of that curved wall with all those closets.

• annkh_nd
    10 years ago

Back the W/D up to the blue wall, and put pocket doors on both ends. If you stack the W and D, you have room for a folding counter next to them.

• justinjk
    10 years ago

Im not a fan of the new layout. I would stack the washer and dryer in between bath 2 and the exterior door(?) and put a counter on the opposite wall where there is a closet with no door. Put a wall and door up so you walk through laundry to get to bath.
    But with this expensive of a house I would go back to your architect and have him rework it into the plans. It shouldnt be an afterthought.

• rjlyders
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the helpful ideas. After much review, our latest plans are to build a laundry room up against the wall of bath 2. We will make room for a side-by-side W/D in that spot by moving the door to bath #2 off to the edge of the bathroom. The door to the laundry area will be a little tight with the balcony door, but that balcony door is rarely used. We are excited to get the laundry room out of the center of the space because we are really trying to keep this upstairs space open and unobstructed. I think this new location for the laundry room works really well with the plans.

PS: with regards to comments about an architect: we are using a design/build firm for the project so far for reasons of a tight budget, but we do have an architect that is reviewing plans with us.

• canuckplayer
    10 years ago

Wait, didn't bath 2 have access from bedroom 3 before? Are you sure you want to eliminate that convenience for the person in that bedroom? You have a large tub and shower in that bath, but a very small sink and no storage. What about putting in a vanity instead of a pedestal and some storage? (same suggestion for bath 1) The toilet looks a little close to the tub. That close seems like it's awkward to reach the faucets and clean the tub. Maybe it's just the drawing perspective.

In the last drawing, you are going to see your W/D as soon as you get on 2nd level. It's too out in the open and too small. Since the 2nd set of stairs are now gone, I think the laundry was better in the first location drawing, but turned so that it backs up to the wall of bath 1, with the entry across from the FR. Put a counter on top of the machines for folding (we removed the legs from a portable table and laid the top right on the W/D,) and cabinetry above for storage. Since the space will be wider, there should be space for drip drying as well.

This post was edited by canuckplayer on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 5:52

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz