Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k9fan

Cost of granite fabriation -- SF Bay Area?

k9fan
12 years ago

I know that the San Francisco Bay Area has one of the most expensive costs of living in the U.S., but I am wondering whether the fabrication cost estimates for our tiny granite bathroom counter are reasonable. The counter will be just five feet long.

The pre-fab granite slab (with a pre-existing front bullnose) tbat we are considering lists for about $700. Fabrication will involve cutting width of the slab, making an additional cut where the cabinet narrows (from a depth of 21" to 16"), adding a bullnose where the cut is made, making a cut-out to place an undermount sink, and also fabricating a backsplash from the slab. Okay, that does seem like a lot of work, but when you break it down into hours of labor, how much can it really be?

The labor cost estimate from the contractor's regular fabricator is $1600, more than double the cost of the material. Maybe this is the norm, but we are a bit askance.

By the way, this is one of three areas where we're doing granite, but it took us this long to wake up and really look at the material cost versus the labor costs. The labor to do the (much more extensive) kitchen slabs will be over $4000.

Comments (4)

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

Here, for 10 square feet of granite fabricated into the vanity that you describe in an average granite would be around $1200 average, including the granite. That includes the installation of two undermount sinks at around $200 each for the labor charge to mount them, sinks not included. That also includes the charge for the offset cut. We are in a low labor cost area and do not use prefab slabs. Most places are all inclusive, charging stone and labor together, not separated. But, of the few that do labor only, you'd be talking $30-$60 a square foot, depending on the stone and the complexity of the job. A more expensive stone is more expensive to fabricate because of the "insurance" factor. I can easily see the labor price between my location and yours doubling.

• dwichman
    12 years ago

Just saw your posting by chance. Try United Marble and Granite in the South Bay, talk to Farm. She can give you a quote over phone/email with a rough sketch of what you need cut and installed. I researched about 5 different granite places when we did our kitchen and UMG was the least expensive, very professional and did a great fabrication and installation.

• solferino
    12 years ago

Not sure if this will help or hinder but I just got a quote from Avalos last week to fab. a 72" vanity, eased edge, two undermount sinks. $850 and if we go with drop-in sinks, $700. No charge for materials if we use a remnant -- which you might consider since your vanity is smaller. Most fabricators will throw in materials if you use a remnant -- of course this won't work if you are very particular about granite color.

If you're feeling the pinch of a budget, you might also try cutting the cost of your prefab slab -- I feel like I've been everywhere and almost everything I've seen has been $200-$300. Terico has them (admittedly, not a huge color selection) for less than $200 each.

• k9fan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sigh. Our granite is all installed, and I guess we really paid top dollar. For example, the fabrication of the bathroom slab (which was a pre-fab slab that we had bought separately, but which then required a new cut-out area and the remaking of two eased edges, as well as the sink cut-out with a gradual slope) was $1600. I do think the fabricator was very skilled.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH