Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdmom_gw

Kitchen Remodel Help

sdmom
10 years ago

Hi There- I'm new, I posted this in Kitchen as well since I'm not sure were I belong when doing a kitchen remodel. I have attached my sad attempt at sketching out my plans (sorry, more evidence of my newness.) Although I'm open to any comments. The main areas i'm looking for feedback include:

1) The wall between the kitchen/dining room- Should I leave it since we are already eating in (family of 4). Or should I take it down to a peninsula?

2) Currently we are using the dining room as an office and game room (board games). Would this look okay to have open to the kitchen?

3) In the front of the house is the living room. It is a complete dead space for it. So we moved the formal dining table there. It isn't really decorated properly since it hasn't been a priority compared to the kitchen. What do you think about having a formal dining room in place of a formal living room? I can't think of anything else to do with it. We entertain about 4x yearly and the fine big room has been great though it feels a bit too big. thoughts?

Comments (3)

• mellyc123
    10 years ago

I am going to reply however my opinions are just that... mine... and I have no clue about whats "in" or the right thing to do : )

1- wall to dining room, I would leave it. Unless I misunderstood you said this was your game room and you don't need the seating or need this to be a peninsula.

2- I use my dining room as an office, eliminated the dining table completely. I am having doors installed just because I don't want people to walk thru it and I want to be able to shut the door. I am making sure the doors are french pocket doors and keeping them wide in case the next owner wants a dining room.

3- I like to have a space where I can have people sit and chat without inviting them into the rest of the house. If my formal living room was big enough I would put a dining table AND a sitting area in it because that is what would work for me and my family so that we would get the most usage out of the space. It looks like you have 17 1/2 ft of space. Assuming you may have a dining table and buffet taking up 12' you could put 2 wing chairs with a small table between them as you come in. Houzz has many pics of dining rooms used as both.

As for your other space filling to large, not sure if you meant your family room. You should post that in the decor forum. I am sure that you will get lots of tips on how to make multiple seating areas. Same for the dining room. You would get lots of help on that forum for real pro's at decorating.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: [sitting area in dining room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/hidden-hills-traditional-dining-room-los-angeles-phvw-vp~3749293)

• sdmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi mellyc-- Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate the feedback. You are right that we really don't need the extra seating and that right now we are using the dining room space as an office/game room so that might not be attractive to open up to. I was imagining that the kids would someday use that space for homework so being open to it would help me keep an eye on them (especially if we have computers there to keep an eye on them.) I have been going back and forth between the two ideas exactly for the reasons you mention.

I love your idea about using the front formal living room as a sitting room and dining room. I will look at houzz for the pics. Thanks for the great idea. When I get around to decorating I will check out the decor forum for suggestions. I made some typo on my original post which made my statement about our living room make zero sense. I meant that we are currently using the living room as the dining room but there is a lot of empty/unused space since the room is large. Your suggestion about the sitting area solve that issue. Thanks again!

I've been just reading posts on this forum for about a year in prep for this project so really appreciate anyone willing to help.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Have you posted on the kitchen forum?

It might just be me but I can't really look at your layout because of the graph lines. Its really distracting. Maybe you would get more responses if you used regular graph paper and drew it at 6" = 1 square.