Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost of addition.

Posted by momof8591 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 24, 13 at 1:43

I am in the first stage of planning a addition to my house in Nebraska where I think the costs are low.I have a slab floor and stucco siding . I am wanting to add about a16x46 or a18x40 or 18x46 which ever is more cost efficient.How about adding a room above the new addition is this costly?I am adding a mud /bathroom,small office ,enlarging a dining area from a existing bedroom,and replacing the bedroom that I used in making the dining larger.I am not doing anything to the kitchen and the water and sewer line is close to the bathroom.I will purchase the cabinets and counter tops myself,I am reusing my Anderson windows and can purchase or let the builder purchase one small one.I am reusing one door and adding a door. The electrical is not in this cost as my sons and his boss will do that. What are some ball park figures?What is the most cost effective way to add the most space?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost of addition.

We are in Lincoln and in the process of adding a 14 x14 ft kitchen. In the early stages we got a couple of contractors to ballpark the cost for just the shell-(30k and 35k ). This would be a block foundation and 9' ceiling single story. Most did not follow up with actual bids and the one that did said a "high end finished kitchen" would be 70K (Not including appliances) In addition to that in initial meetings I was often told I don't want what I want. I decided to be our contractor. We are handy people and have experience with some remodeling and shed building, but nothing of this magnitude. So far we have the foundation in.-got 3 bids that were pretty much equivalent and went the guy we liked the best. He ended up helping us get our permit and answered our novice questions. 6K including blocking in old basement access and building a new one. Our lumber delivery for framing comes Monday. $1100 not including roof. It will take us at least 3x as long and I've spent countless hours researching and sourcing materials. In the end it's necessary to have the kitchen I want.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here