Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noctua_gw

New Canadian member starting a major reno

Noctua
11 years ago

Hi Everybody.

I have been poking about the web looking trying to take in every bit of contractor/trade/designer knowledge there is and in my constant trips to google I keep seeing Garden Web posts, so here I am.

I am looking at a complete gut of my modest little house to make it what I want it to be. The choice was to sell and buy something finished to someone elses standard or to make this how i want it. I want it to be mine.

It needs new wiring, plumbing, floors, walls, insulation, windows ... the works. Worse that the construction design choices need to be made. Appliances need to be chosen. Colours need to be picked.

In short I am in way over my head and need the help of the internet.

This is just a greeting post, but don't worry I will have issues soon enough.

Comments (6)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Welcome.
    You'll want to poke around on the Kitchens forum; bathroom forum; lighting forum; appliances forum; flooring forum...just to name a few. Lots to learn and glean just from reading what has already been posted.

Also, I've found the best way to search the forums is actually to google "gardenweb _________ (your topic/question)" and see what comes up, rather than trying to use the GW search. It is more effective to google it.

• User
    11 years ago

Look at the link below. There are books and DVD's about almost every phase of home building/remodeling/renovation, to include a series on being your own general contractor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Time

• Noctua
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the welcome and the info.

• ontariomom
    11 years ago

Noctua,

Welcome fellow Canadian (as per my forum name, I am just outside the GTA area in Southern Ontario, Canada). We have gutted our house and added an addition too (we are about halfway done). As you said there is so many decisions. You have come to a good place as GW has helped me make countless decisions. I would add that the building a home forum and home decorating forum will also be helpful to you.

Keep us posted on your project.

Carol

This post was edited by OntarioMom on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 18:44

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

I would also like to welcome you and invite you to visit us over on the Smaller Homes forum. We do renos and builds there, too, and since we are all in smaller homes, you may get a perspective there that you don't get everywhere else.

Earlier in the 2000's DH and I used to joke about defecting to Canada. We visited Toronto every fall for the Film Festival and have taken other vacations in Ontario. DH's brother is now half-time in Toronto, half in Detroit as he moves toward marriage to a Canadian citizen. And my great-grandparents moved to a farm in Perth Ontario, CA long before I was born. I remember visiting them there as a toddler. We love our ties to our neighbor to the south and east and north! (For those not from the area, we like to joke about how Detroit is technically north of Windsor, Ontario, CA)

What province do you live in?

• southerncanuck
    11 years ago

Nancy,

I always get a strange look when I say I live south west of Buffalo.

Noctura,

Your in the right place, welcome.