Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gutter problems

Posted by luvscritters (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 23:53

We live in a small older home with a front porch. We used to be able to sit on the porch when it rained because it stayed perfectly dry. Well, this past summer we had a new ceiling put up covering an old bead board one and at the same time had new aluminum trim and gutters replaced. The gutter runs the length of the porch. The new gutters are the large ones. Now for some reason about half of the front porch gets very wet. The floor and the rest of the porch is brick.

(I now realize a picture would really help but it's too dark right now). The porch is somewhat protected by trees and bushes so I feel the problem is with the new gutters. They are clean and drain well. I had the guys who installed everything back out and they do not see any problem with them. No surprise there.

Does anyone have any ideas why the rain water is now coming onto the porch? Any ideas what to do to fix this? Any help appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gutter problems

umm - these are just guesses, but here goes -
the water splashes onto the porch from the downspout?
the water falls through a crack before it enters the gutter?
a nail from the gutter made a hole in the roof?
A downspout from further up got disconnected?

You can test it with a hose. Have a spotter, and try the hose directly into thew downspout, starting at the lowest entry and if that shows nothing, move up the roof spot by spot.

o
RE: Gutter problems

Thank you lyvia for your input. Everything is connected but I never thought of a hole. I'm thinking there could now be a space behind the new gutters where water gets through. I'm going to get up there with a ladder this weekend. I have read about a gutter or roof apron which I'm going to check for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here