Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
f1668065

Drop ceiling in kitchen...Replace it or update it?

f1668065
10 years ago

My first impression was to replace it with drywall but now that I've lived in the house a bit; there IS access to 2nd floor plumbing pipes, if need be. Taking into consideration the difficulty of installing drywall on the ceiling, I'm now debating whether or not updating the drop ceiling with new frame & tiles might be a better option. All thoughtful input is greatly appreciated!

Comments (10)

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

Update it. It looks like a nice kitchen remodel hasn't been completed. Why are you concerned with access to second floor plumbing?

• f1668065
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!
    My only concerns with access to second floor plumbing are:
    1) They're there
    2) They already apparently had a leak/issue that I can see was repaired by moving the tile.

So, when you say "update it" do you mean new drop ceiling tiles or drywall it?

• lmccarly
    10 years ago

I would replace it. It looks like an office space.

IF something happenens and you need access to plumbing, you can cut a hole in the drywall.

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Generally, dropped ceilings are considered a health hazard and a pain to keep clean.
    However, that perception has evolved because of the variety of "clean room" commercial applications available for residential applications.

Google USGypsum far an insight.

• powermuffin
    10 years ago

Replace it!
    Diane

• Fori
    10 years ago

Would you be able to raise the ceiling if you replaced it?

The ceiling doesn't GO--surely it's not original! The cabinets look much older (and it's really a very cute kitchen, except for the ceiling).

I'd drywall it. If the plumbing needs to be accessed in the future, well, you drywall it again. :P

If you have to keep it, there are certainly less obvious versions nowadays.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

Drywall it. I do understand the access thing. My DH would also be thinking about losing that access. If access is really a concern you could drywall everything but put an access panel in at a specific location that where access might be likely. Not perfect for decor but a lot better than what you have now. (no offence)

Here is a pic of an access door in our bathroom wall.

This door gives us access to bathtub plumbing.

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

Was the ceiling lowered because of openings made in a higher drywall/plaster ceiling because of plumbing leaks? If so, have the original ceiling repaired. In any case, remove the drop ceiling. It's taking away from your otherwise very nice kitchen, IMO.

• f1668065
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    Looks like dry-walling ceiling is first project for this kitchen remodel.

>>>Would you be able to raise the ceiling if you replaced it?
    I've had several guys in and I don't think so...It'd be nice cuz we're talking about a 7'2" hi drop ceiling.

@debrak2008: None taken ;)

>>>Was the ceiling lowered because of openings made in a higher drywall/plaster ceiling because of plumbing leaks?
    Not that I'm aware of. Sadly, there is also a lot of a/c duct work up there too, which actually makes it lower than the plumbing.

• f1668065
    Original Author
    10 years ago

FWIW...other than the ceiling, I AM pretty much panning to remodel most of the kitchen. I've already purchased new SS refrigerator & dishwasher (not delivered yet) as well as a new cook top (not installed yet)...a new range hood is being considered but double oven is staying.

The built counter top Jenn Air grill (not in pic but to right of double ovens) will be demo'd and replaced with dry bar area. I want to try to keep the cabinets, reface them and upgrade hardware, hinges, rollers, etc...) and keep layout (perhaps switch out the built in desk (left of fridge) for a pantry...this kitchen has no pantry).

I'd like to replace the counter tops with either granite or quartz, replace sink and add new tile back-splash then replace the flooring with porcelain tile...OMG the flooring I have 3 layers (original vinyl, ceramic tile, laminate you see) over 1140 square feet.

It's in every room on first floor (kitchen, dining room, den, laundry & bathroom) except the raised front entry/living room, which had carpet but now concrete subfloor. I'd like to put porcelain tile on the entire first floor. I have engineered wood in the upstairs BR's & hallway. Your thoughts on making the entire first floor all the same porcelain tile flooring....???

BTW, The current frig & dw are actually on the the concrete subfloor with the all 3 layers of flooring cut out around them. What is the issue(s) do you see with putting the new appliances where the old appliances are other than making them harder to move?

This post was edited by f1668065 on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 14:46