Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
replacing a wood burning fireplace with ?

Posted by newenglandladybug (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 22:10

Hello,
After 5 years of hardly any fires in this fireplace because it draws every last ounce of heat from the room, we are planning to convert over to a vented gas insert. It is shaping up to be quite an undertaking. I have done some preliminary shopping around, and with the relative height of the top of the arch (37.5 in from the base) and its close proximity to the mantel, we are looking at likely having to fill in the top of the arch to convert the shape of the opening to something more rectangular or at least less tall. Though I expect budget will dictate otherwise, I have some fantasies of covering the brick with stone veneer as well.
What I'd really love to hear is suggestions on what to do with the wood storage area to the right of the fireplace. I've been told that I can't "center" our new fireplace in the middle of the mantel (can't flex the pipes for the flue), but it seems like such a wasted space. One fireplace store manager suggested getting some nice birch logs and sitting them there decoratively -- to me that seems like a last ditch idea. Would welcome any thoughts.
Cheers!
(PS: the dog bones are not in lieu of birch logs :) )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: replacing a wood burning fireplace with ?

Can ya stick a nice wine/beverage cooler in that storage space? Could look nice? ;$ tough one.

Maybe put in a wood burning insert thereby keeping the storage space?

o
RE: replacing a wood burning fireplace with ?

We had a wood burning fireplace with insert in and changed it to a gas insert.....gas heat when up the chimney as bad as the wood heat did. So we changed it to electric insert and that is what we have now. Our firebox was square so I am thinking you might need a peice of black metal to make the archway sqauare. Also on the log side, put the peice of black metal there and put doors on it for storage. By the way, we had glass doors on our fireplace.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here