Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silver/White Flexable insulation

Posted by larrylwill (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 20, 14 at 22:06

Not sure this is the right forum, I have an outside building where I have my business. It was built by a portable building crew. I am now going to expand it. It was built with 16" on center walls. I insulated it and walboarded it. The roof and outside walls are tin. When they built it, they covered all 4 walls, floor, ceiling with a flexible R1.2 or so product. Its silver on one side and white on the other and is soft and flexible. It serves to keep the building water and wind tight and provide a little insulation and vapor barrier and cushion for the metal. Does anyone know what its called and where it can be bought.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silver/White Flexable insulation

I can't remember the name of the product but a local roofing supplier will know, since the product is widely used in commercial buildings.

o
RE: Silver/White Flexable insulation

It is probably bubble wrap with a radiant barrier foil facing. Manufacturers often make outlandish claims for its performance claiming the energy savings of the radiant barrier can be expressed with an equivalent R value which is a fantasy. It can be effective as a radiant barrier and a vapor barrier if installed properly but it's insulation value should be ignored. It essentially reduces condensation in steel buildings but the price alone should tell you it is a scam.

Here is a link that might be useful: bubble wrap disguised as insulation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here