Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knock down or smooth walls and ceiling?

Posted by fishdelasol (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 1, 08 at 22:02

In our quest to find our first home to buy, we have been seeing a lot of different features in the homes we look at. While I hate popcorn ceilings, it seems that many people are going towards knock down texture instead of smooth walls and ceilings when they get rid of the popcorn.

Do you think that knock down will be timeless or will it be undesirable in the next few years? Is it better to just go with smooth? I ask because we will want to remove the popcorn should we buy a house with it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knock down or smooth walls and ceiling?

Have you ever tried to paint a wall with texture? It's a huge pain, and takes a lot of paint. Something to consider...

o

Ceilings should be smooth unless you live in the southwest. Be careful if you attempt to remove popcorn ceiling spray, if it is old it could be hazardous to your health. Have it tested first.

o

In CA all the houses are basically knockdown from what I see. I see lots of smooth in the rest of the country. Each has it's issues. Flat shows every flaw. Textured hides a multitude of sins. The main issue with painting tex, at least what I have come across, is that the builder only lightly sprays the white paint on the walls directly onto the texture- which is joint compound material. This is very absorbant so when you do your own paint, it take like 5 coats and you still get little spots of white. And the higher your ceiling it seems like the builder sprays even less paint. My 25' ceiling barely had any paint on it. But each time I change the room colors, like kids rooms, it takes less coats. You need a thick nap and either get an electric paint roller or keep the roller nice and wet. Do several light coats. You will be frustrated trying to do two thick coats.

If you plan to wallpaper flat is obviously better. I have finally accepted the fact that any textured wall needs three coats of joint compound to smooth out. I tried using that thick liner paper- horrible. The edges do not lay flat, so not only do you see the lines where the liner matches up, it is all lumpy. Three coats of compound is literally the only solution and a 5gal costs about $10.

Patching is not difficult if you take your time. I have moved a light fixture and because I took my time blending you cannot see the original hole.

So there are issues with both. Flat may be simpler but some do not like the look of flat. Often times folks will do a venician plaster look to take a way from the flatness. But that is a whole other topic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here