Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts on Modernizing a 1963 Two-Storey

Posted by worthy (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 26, 10 at 21:43

What have I done?

One minute I'm out looking for a buildable lot. I am a builder, after all. And that's what we do. The next thing I know I've picked up this C$1.2 million dollar fixer-upper on a half acre court a couple hundred yards north of Toronto.

4 sc
"1963 One Owner." Aging Home Needs Updating

We're moving in and will play it by ear. Including attempting to market a pre-build sale from plans, as I've done before. If it doesn't fly, at the most you've blown a few thousand dollars on a concept and a floor plan.

After the obvious--refinished floors and new paint--the way ahead is not so clear. Except the absurd shutters have to go!

Any thoughts much appreciated.

I'll be posting pics after I get possession in a couple of months. Wish me luck! (And no meltdowns in the roaring housing market here.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts on Modernizing a 1963 Two-Storey

Why update? It would be cheaper to put a Chevy 409 SS in the driveway and buy some skinny ties and a lava lamp.

o

Hey you! Hands off my 409!

Cool!

I like it! Full-on baby boom retro. JFK is king. Marilyn's cooing. Elvis is still in the house.

But in an upper income neighbourhood as bland as bland can be, where adolescent dreams have long been surrendered for golf club memberships and an SUV and a Merc in the driveway. Bound to be a big seller!

o

You want upscale?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

The Jag is rad but the chebby would be mucho bueno out here in the west...lowered, candy apple red, lights in the wheel wells, dingle balls abounding with red,white, and green stripes for the upholstery. Dont forget the hydraulics kickin' it from high rise to low rider! Bounce dat mudda down the 405!

o

Where I'm from you could get shot for trashing a 409.

o

"Where I'm from you could get shot for trashing a 409."

Deservingly so! Anyone that takes a classic of any make or model and turns it into a la bamba ought to be strung up!:-)

o

An upward pointing Jag snuggling up to a legs-akimbo lassie spreading open her fur coat. Talk about subliminal advertising.

Thanks gang for all the helpful design suggestions!

o

Still, I soldier on. Similar house reno/addition. Any thoughts?

5SF

o

park the 409 in the drive.
have fun with the house!
I saw a house nearby that is almost exactly like yours.
I wonder if the floor plan is similar? They sold to a
couple from Texas,
Congrats on the new fixer upper.

o

Thanks!

I've just come across a stash of old slides of my family and me in our then brand new 1958 suburban home. Two-tone green asbestos siding--to match the two-tone green '53 Buick Roadmaster in the drive. Mom in her sleeveless A-Line. Dad in a Mad Men suit. It's so wonderfully retro!

Unfortunately, now we're 20 miles north of the downtown hipsters who would "get it."

o

It looks like a nice brick Colonial ... work on the interior to get the plumbing and kitchen into great shape.

o

I'd get big of the terrible porch and do a better one, more suited to the Federal style it's trying to ape. And I'd paint the brick. I love brick, but NOT orange.

o

Right on the porch. It's so terrible it may have been a later "improvement", as were the execrable "shutters". The brick is redder than the pic registers.

The biggest problem I see is in the roofline. First, the lack of space between the roof and the upper floor windows. Traditional Georgians, as in the pic below, have a generous spacing there, often filled with elaborate cornicework. Secondly, the angle is too shallow to support dormers.

Georgian  Jessup residence
1920's Georgian style residence, Oakwood, Ohio Kent Development Group

o
RE: Thoughts on Modernizing a 1963 Two-Storey followup

I was thinking maybe adding EIFS stucco, thus obtaining the benefit of insulation. There's probably a nominal R12 fiberglass in the walls; there's nothing at all in the finished basement.

Still, I think the proportions of my fixer-upper are off for a Georgian style home.

Georgian stucco
Georgian-style stucco. Note Captain's walk

o

After moving in and investing $1,200 on new elevation plans, I'm taking the easy way out: total demolition. I guess we're moving soon!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here