Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethune14

Kitchen Remodel

bethune14
10 years ago

I'm be here but recently completed a kitchen remodel. Ripped out old laminate counters and replaced with a giallo ornamental granite. Also installed a glass/mosaic backsplash throughout. Finished it up by building a cornice board for the window. Any other ideas? Or thoughts on the job?

Comments (10)

• bethune14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a before and after photo

• homebound
    10 years ago

Nice little upgrade. Any under cabinet lighting?

• momfromthenorth
    10 years ago

The granite is very pretty and the backsplash is pretty but together they feel "off". I hate to say this because I know you've put much work in this but It feels like the backsplash is fighting the rest of the kitchen. Maybe something in a plain color for the bs ?

Undercabinet lights are always great too. Since you are asking for suggestions, maybe change out the hardware to oil rubbed bronze to match your new faucet/sink.

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

I like the counter & backsplash. Something I don't understand - in your first picture, that green paint just does not fit. Counter, backsplash, floor are warm tans/browns. I'd say the wall above the cabinets should be the same (or cream, or off white, etc.).

Then, in your third picture, the counter and backsplash have a greenish tinge and I'd think the green wall might go with them, although you don't show the tops of the cabinets in the third picture.

What gives? Different lighting?

• DIYfever
    10 years ago

I like what you've done, I would just suggest that when your appliances need to be replaced to get something other than white, like black or stainless. I'm going to paint my cabinets white and I have white appliances and I'm considering painting them because replacing them is just not in the budget! I want my cabinets to look white, not cream or ivory so I'm hyersensitive to the white appliances :)

• Dale_67
    10 years ago

Agree with the person who suggested replacing the hardware to match the faucet...but the new hardware should be large and bold enough to draw some attention. Also, there is no 'color' in the kitchen. It needs some bright attention-getting accents to add a spark of liveliness.

• oakstar7101
    10 years ago

IMO the backsplash is way to busy when it comes to countertops/backsplash they either have to match (color and material) or clash I also like to see different upper cabinet elevations

• lam702
    10 years ago

Well, since the backsplash is new, I am sure you don't really want to rip it out. I assume since you kept the same cabinets you are not looking to spend a fortune, so why replace a brand new backsplash? Its a little busier than I usually like but I actually like it a lot, and if you like it, let it be. I agree that white appliances make the cabinets appear creamier, but I would not put black ones in, too much contrast for me. I like black appliances with dark cabinets, for white, I think stainless would be perfect, it goes in any kitchen. But here again, if you are on a budget, and the appliances still work, keep them until they die or you can afford the new stainless ones. I agree under cabinet lights are a good idea, we bought some at HD and installed them ourselves, pretty inexpensive if you can DIY. I would however paint that green wall above the cabinets, its very dark and dreary to me. I had a similar color on my kitchen wall, I repainted in a soft beige and it brightened the room up so much. Paint is cheap, and has a huge impact.

• mellyc123
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of staged home with a similar backsplash, light counter and stainless appliances.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

The backsplash is really the 'star' in this type of design. Notice in the picture above, how everything else (walls, stools, accessories) are more neutral? If YOU like the paint and stools, then great! If not, then maybe a more subdued paint and stool color....it depends on what makes you happy...it's your kitchen :)