Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandsara2

Pros and cons of expanding above a garage?

newenglandsara2
10 years ago

Hi there,

I recently posted a related message about a house we are purchasing in three weeks. The house is a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bathroom 1941 cape/cottage in Massachusetts that has not been updated at all since the 1940s. We need to update all systems, and we want to add a bedroom, master bath and laundry on the second floor and create a more open floor plan plus mudroom on the first floor. One option is to expand above the two car garage (and to possibly use one of the bays for a mudroom and storage.)

I am getting mixed input (locally) about building above garages. On the one hand, it seems like an obvious space to utilize. On the other hand, some have suggested that it is hard to created a space that is insulated enough from the garage (from both a heat and environmental standpoint.) Any input on this? And do you think that future buyers (if we ever sell the house) are turned away by bedrooms above garages? Our alternative would be a small bump out on the back of the house and a master bath above a screened in porch that is on piers.

Thanks so much!

Sara

Comments (6)

• User
    10 years ago

Most garages in older homes aren't built with the idea of expansion in mind. That means a great deal of work, and probably even a teardown to get the foundation and walls to support living space above. If purchasing this home was contingent on making this happen, then all of the leg work should have been performed before the sale finalized, and with the sale contingent upon the information garnered from the local experts, like local architects and engineers. You may be buying only the house that exists without any real potential for expansion.

• User
    10 years ago

Millions of homes have bedrooms or other living spaces above garages, even in Canada. Regional differences exist, so doing the living space above a garage in an area where that is seldom done could be somewhat of a gamble.

I lived in one for 8 years(in Kansas) and never had any cold/noise problems. And I worked on cars in ours. Insulation is the key.

You need to be sure the existing foundation can support the extra weight.

Of as much importance is doing the second floor laundry installation correctly. You need to provide a drain system---drain and catch basin---in case there is a leak/hose rupture/etc.

And halving a two car garage is off putting to me, unless the garage is the normal(for houses of that age here) too narrow for modern pickup trucks/big cars.

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

It is not difficult to create a living space above a garage but it is wise to insulate above the garage ceiling with closed-cell spray foam not only for energy conservation but to create a barrier against CO passing into the living space.
    CO doesn't really rise or fall but instead readily mixes with air and can easily pass through cracks into adjacent spaces if the concentration is heavy enough.

The things you should be concerned with are how the space works with the overall layout of the house and its cost effectiveness.

Some homeowners object to the sound of a garage door below their bedroom but controlling when that occurs is not too difficult for most families.

just thought that was worth repeating renovator8

• leenamark
    10 years ago

The expansion above garage is good decision as it greatly increase your space, allowing for a guest apartment, extra bedroom. But the cost of adding a room above your garage will vary depending on the size of the space, type of materials and the cost of labor since it involves excellent insulation and/or HVAC system to combat the heat and cold from the garage below. You should find a good contractor that offers solid warranties on workmanship.

• newenglandsara2
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the wonderful input! This was incredibly helpful. Luckily, we have several other options for expanding the house, and it sounds as if the garage expansion would be more complicated than most options. My gut instinct is to go with our other expansion options and to reserve possible garage expansion for the future if we want a bonus room or something like that (with no plumbing involved, etc.)

Many thanks again!

Sara