Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom Permits

Posted by kristalynn89 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 19:25

Hi all,

I bought a house with a unfinished roughed-in bathroom that my carpenter father has been helping me finish. We initially decided not to pull a permit, and now I am having major regret. I know that everything is above code, but I don't want this to bite me in the bum with my insurance company or with resale.

So far the bathroom is finished except for the walk-in shower. Both rooms on either side of the bathroom are unfinished so I don't think that there should be any framing issues that would require demolishing the walls. Any ideas on how far I need to backpedal to get permits/pass an inspection? I'm hoping that if worst comes to worst all that I'll have to do is take out the ceiling for the electrical inspection.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom Permits

Only your municipality can answer this for you.

If you have proof the plumbing was pre-existing and approved with the house build, then you won't have to tear that out.

o
RE: Bathroom Permits

In my experience, most cities just want the money. But it varies by individual inspector as well as by city and area in the city. We avoided permits for 50 years because of pre-existing issues, and when we finally did a major remodel recently we called in the inspector. He was so happy that someone in the neighborhood was trying to improve things that he focused only on the one thing we had pulled the permit for (electrical) and ignored everything else, which allowed us to upgrade each problem one at a time. If you get someone who is reasonable, they will not make you tear anything out. They can also cut a tiny hole in the ceiling and use a dental mirror and a flashlight to see electrical, in some cases. Good luck. I would do whatever will allow you to sleep well at night, even if dad thinks it's silly (spoken from experience, not from a criticism of your dad).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here