Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing ceiling lath & plaster when putting up new walls

Posted by pbufordjr (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 12, 11 at 19:05

I am moving around 2 bedrooms and a bath in a remodeling project on an older home to reposition the stairway. I have already gutted the walls but was wondering if I should remove the plaster and lath ceilings before I put up the walls?

The ceilings are fairly solid but I was thinking about removing them because the electrical wiring now comes into the walls in this home from the attic and I thought it would make rewiring easier. And thought it would be better nailing the top plates of the new walls directly into the ceiling joist instead of through plaster and lath.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to whether I should remove the ceilings or not that have done work like this before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing ceiling lath & plaster when putting up new walls

If the new walls are not bearing walls and the ceiling is firm I would not disturb anything! Why make more work for yourself. The new walls just need to remain upright and stable and screwing them through the top plate to the joists or blocking between joists is fine. Drill hole for wires into top plate,go up in attic, install your J-boxes and drop wires down.

o
RE: Removing ceiling lath & plaster when putting up new walls

Wow, you sound just like us. Me moved a bathroom, and moved some walls in a 110 year old house.

I will never tear out plaster and lathe again unless I have to. Ours was nasty because the house had been heated with coal stoves for most of it's life. The walls were full of black soot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here