Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Auto On/Off Light For Laundry Rm. Have a Problem

monicakm_gw
10 years ago

My small laundry room also houses the hot water heater. It and the light switch is just to the left of the door with the light switch being on the wall (of course) and the hot water heater being in front of it....water heater is about an inch from the wall and 4" taller than the light switch. My husband thinks an auto on/off switch will not work and if it would he's not excited about draining the hot water heater, disconnecting everything, moving it and putting everything back just so I don't have to turn the light on and off when I enter the LR...go figure! So my questions are:
1. do you think it would work with the close proximity of the hot water heater and
2. are there other options? Like a sensor in the light socket it's self?
Thank you

Comments (7)

• User
    10 years ago

See the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Motion detector socket

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I'm with your DH on this. Yes you should explore other options. At least until the day you need to buy a new HWH (but even then, I question whether it would work. Most sensors have a "blind spot" near the wall...).

• renovator8
    10 years ago

I borrowed an office that had such a switch. When I didn't move it turned off the light so it was quite annoying to read or use the phone. Moving a hand or your head won't turn it on again.

If you find yourself waiting for the machine to stop you will need to wave your arm over your head every 4 minutes.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

handymac, THANK YOU SO MUCH! This is exactly what I was hoping to find. I thought there probably was such a thing but when in Lowes last weekend I asked and they knew of nothing else other and an outdoor motion detector.
    Thanks for the replies everyone :)
    Monica

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I have 17 motion sensors in my home, one being the laundry room. (And about as many dimmers.) I totally support the switch, but not in the place you're suggesting he put it. It needs to be able to "see" you! These motion sensor sockets are available very inexpensively off catalogues such as Harriet Carter, so shop.

As far as that office with a motion sensor? That's just dumb that someone hadn't set the timer on it. One sits still in an office, living room, den, and bedroom. Even with timers, they're going to click off. I find they've worked best for me in places someone isn't going to spend prolonged time still, such as:
    1) Bathrooms (set to 10 minutes)
    2) Laundry (set to 10 minutes)
    3) Hallways (set to 2 minutes)
    4) Mudrooms (set to 5 minutes)
    5) Garage (set to 10 minutes)
    6) Attic (set to 10 minutes)
    7) Closets (set to 5 minutes)
    8) Front Porch lights (set to 10 minutes, + light/dark sensor)
    9) Security Lights (set to 10 minutes)

These are all places I have them, and they're rooms where one would be moving about. The lights don't go off and back on if there is motion. They just stay on.

I've saved myself $1000s over the 10 years I've had them in this home. I know. I've kept track of my power bills' kilowatt usage, cost, temperature, and bill amount since 2002.
    With solar panels, I wanted to see how much I was saving with these lights, with and without my now-ex-DH. $1000s.

Hey. Be careful about the CFL light bulb type. I've learned the hard way that some aren't meant for motion sensors. I burned out 3 sockets before someone said, "Hey, did you know...? Lutron has a list of appropriate manufacturers.

Then... we have LEDs. When the light is off, there's not supposed to be any electricity running through the socket. Well, much to my electrician's surprise, I wasn't an idiot when I told him the LED bulb flickered when there wasn't any motion to be detected. Claimed it just couldn't be happening. I just stared at him as we watch the light flickering in the bathroom, out of sight from the motion sensor. So...

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Inexpensive motion sensor switches operate on a small amount of power from the circuit so if you want to use a CFL the sensor switch must be compatible or the lamp will glow and flicker. The compatible switches are much more expensive and can defeat the purpose of using a CFL.

Also, for a light that is only on for a short time each day, like in a laundry or utility room, a CFL lamp is not a good choice for longevity, energy efficiency or environmental safety (contains mercury).

In this installation an LED lamp would be better but because of the higher initial cost and limited operation time it would probably take far too long to break-even. IMO this is a location to use a long-life energy-efficient halogen A-lamp (standard bulb).

• renovator8
    10 years ago

double post

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 16:41