Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
timer to control just fan or fan and lights?

Posted by janesylvia (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 18:29

In each bathroom of my current house, I have a timer that controls both fan and lights. The fan is turned on for another 60 minutes after shower to have good ventilation. So it's kind of waste the electricity for lights.

In my newly bought house,. The two bathrooms have good lighting due to the two venting skylights. I am thinking of using a three gang wall plate, with a switch to control the lights, a timer to control the fan, and a GFCI outlet. But I have one concern.
Since the fan will be the Panasonic 80CFM one, the sound is low, I am afraid my kids would forget to turn on the fan or my daughter takes more than the timer's maximum setting of 60 minutes if she is slow (often she is).

So would it be better to have the timer controlling just the exhaust fan or both fan and lights?

Any input or sharing of experience if greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: timer to control just fan or fan and lights?

Do you think that the light going off, would speed or impede the process?

o

In my current house, sometimes, the lights were turned off automatically at 60 minutes when my daughter was still taking shower. She had to come out of the tub and turned on the lights. Since in my current house, the lights and fan are controlled by the same switch, there is no concern for the ventilation.

But for the newly bought house, if I have timer for fan and switch for lights, the light will not be automatically turned off when the fan reaches its maximum 60 min time. I can urge her to finish taking shower within 60 minutes, but I cannot guarantee if she would do it if I am not home.

o

Why not get a timer that is longer than 60 minutes?

Here is a link that might be useful: 2 hour timer

o

Thank you very much, Greg. That's a good idea.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here