Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Split-level Remodel

Posted by dccurlygirl (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 7, 12 at 18:07

I have a split-level house and want to remodel the first floor. This level has a only the living room, and small dining room and kitchen. I don't really want to add to the footprint (too expensive, I feel), so I'm just looking to move or remove walls to open up the space. Basically, I want to gut the first floor and start all over, reassigning the rooms.

Does anyone here have any experience with a split-level remodel? As soon as I figure out how, I can post a pic of the current floorplan. Thanks, all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Split-level Remodel

I think we are waiting for a floorplan. Search for how to post pictures for directions. Also, we've noticed that "split-level" means 2 different house plans on here. In the west we have "split level" which means "raised ranch" in other parts. In the west, we have "tri-level" which means "split level" in some parts. So, clarification of your house plan is needed as well.

o

OK, to clarify, my East Coast Split-level is the same as a West Coast "tri-level" -- except mine is 4 levels.

From bottom to top:
* finished basement (furnace room, laundry room, office)
* family room/garage, 1/2 BA
* front door, hall, LR, DR, Kitchen
* 3 BR's 2 BA

Still working on the plans -- my scanner is on the fritz.

o

So, ladies and gentlemen, here's my current floorplan and some things to know:

* I have 10' of windows on the "bottom" and left walls of the living room (two casement windows, 2 4' panes of glass and in the corner, the glass and wall are curved -- I didn't know how to show that with the planning software)
* The 2 double-hung windows in the DR are currently covered up and are only noticeable from the outside. The one on the left wall is covered by floor-2-celing mirrors that run the entire left DR wall. The window on the back wall is covered by a built-in china cabinet/buffet that covers the entire back DR wall. The mirrors and built-in are coming down!!!

I am looking for ideas to update this level of my home and open up some walls. I am also considering adding a deck to the side and/or rear of the house and would like to add french/sliding doors to one of the DR walls.

Thanks, all!

Current Floorplan

Here is a link that might be useful: Current Floorplan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here