Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replumb + bathroom remodel?

Posted by brarian (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 18:00

New homeowner and forum member here. The home is about 55 years old. Most of the house has been updated - except the beige and chocolate bathroom and the plumbing. It has galvanized pipes. Water pressure isn't great, and rust sometimes settles in the lines, so I'm hoping to replace the plumbing next year. (The pipes will have to go through the attic because it is a slab house.) I figured while people are cutting holes in walls and tile to replace plumbing, maybe I should just redo parts of the bathroom at the same time.

Things I want to know:
1. Am I insane?

2. Should I get a general contractor to oversee the replumb of the house and the changes in the bathroom, or should I hire out the job by task - hire a plumber for the replumb, then someone to fix the walls from whatever the plumber has had to do, someone to tile, etc?

3. How far in advance do I need to contact potential tradespeople? I'm planning on doing the replumb early next year, and I don't want them to think I'm wasting their time.

This is what I want done:
recoat or replace bathtub (coating job from previous homeowners is peeling)
retile bathtub surround (or install 3 piece tub wall)
replace shower/tub fixtures (showerhead, bath faucet)
remove wall tile (all walls are 1/2 tiled)
add a vented fan

I'd like to keep the existing toilet, wall hung sink, and retro mosaic tile floor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replumb + bathroom remodel?

After 55 years, I would gut the bathroom, and install all new.

o

It depends. Talk to a plumber about cost and feasibility of running new supply lines (leave the old ones in the wall). But it sounds like a nice time to bite the bullet and redo that bathroom, budget permitting. (If the tub goes, then the floor tile has to go, too. Full demo.

o

If you are planning on doing a complete bathroom remodel, I would recommend hiring a general contractor and have them use their plumber. The reason for this is that way they can coordinate the project through one point of contact. I have always found it easier when you are going to have multiple trades doing work on a single project to hire a general contractor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Important steps to take when hiring a contractor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here