Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
laundry/pantry addition

Posted by treeskate (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 6, 09 at 17:56

I'm trying to locate an article from Fine Homebuilding (maybe 2 years ago) that featured pantry designs and one photo was perfect for what I want. I can't find it on their web site. It was a square room that had a washer/dryer on left side, then open shelving above counters on the back wall and on the right side.

Does this ring a bell with anyone??

I currently have a tiny hallway off the kitchen that has a door to the garage, a broom closet, door to half bath and door to deck. (1952 colonial house.) I'm struggling with the 2 floors down into the basement for laundry and want to add a pantry/laundry room. GC recommends enlarging half bath (1.5 bath houses don't sell well even tho I don't plan on moving) to a full bath (shower), then add pantry/laundry off a hallway (hall would have hooks for coats) and then hall would end in a small room addition rather than a screened porch that I want.

The garage and half bath are attached to the 2 story house and there is an alleyway in the basement where all the heat and water pipes go to the half bath, plus a window to the outside that would be helpful for additional piping needed. He said addtion could be done on pilings - don't have to have a full basement for this new addition.

Just wish I could find that darn picture!!! But if you have any other thoughts to share, bring them on.....I am single, no kids, don't entertain, etc, but do a lot of yard work, snowblowing etc. and am getting near retirement so want to start making the house easier on my knees.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: laundry/pantry addition

Check your local library for back issues of the magazine.
Ron

o

Yes Ron, I plan to go the library, but just thought I might tickle someone's memory.......don't know if the library will want to bring 2-3 years of issues out of storage in one trip.

o

Update - went to library and their stock only goes back to 12/03....wouldn't you know the article I wanted was the month before. So I ended up doing free 2 week trial to FHB and got the article and printed it!!!

For anyone wanting this great article it is in FHB 11/1/03 #159 "Hard-Working Pantries" in case you have a friend that keeps his/her back issues.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here