Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kammererk_gw

Where do you keep your kitty's litter box

kammererk
12 years ago

With this renovation, we'll no longer have an attached garage for a kitty box. It's currently in our laundry room in the basement, but we're moving our laundry room upstairs (into the former garage) and would like to figure out how to move kitty's litterbox there too. Only problem is that our 2 dogs will also be kept in the laundry room, so kitty's box will have to be inaccessable to the dogs. One suggestion was to box in a section of the lockers and put an access door for the cat and allow it to flip up for cleaning. Another suggested that we put a kitty access door into our pantry and keep it there (I'm not thrilled with that idea) Anyone have any better thoughts? here's our

floorplan

Comments (9)

• User
    12 years ago

What about shifting the dog's location to the now unused basement?

• vtremodeler
    12 years ago

I think it would be nifty if you closed in below that "counter, open below" area to the right (to the left facing it) of the W/D.

Have a pretty standard base cabinet swinging door with a kitty hole cut in it.

I wouldnt want to lose any of that nice locker space you have; and the pantry should be a LAST resort... I wouldnt want my cats in the pantry, but I tend to believe they are stinkier than average ;)

• jakabedy
    12 years ago

I like the idea of tucking it under the lockers. Is there meant to be a "seat" there with cubbies above? If so, a simple flip-up seat and a kitty-sized opening in the front panel should do the trick.

And I know you didn't ask, but would you consider moving the pantry door to the back hall? You're having to go through a lot of doors to get to your pantry. Or at least consider a pocket door.

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

I'm with Vt remodeler on the location for kitty litter, and with jakabedy for a change of pantry door. At least maybe reverse the swing? Changing it to the back hall might be best, but as it is, you have to step into the laundry area to get into it.

• chris8796
    12 years ago

I would replace the pantry with a dedicated cat closet with a smaller footprint. I don't like to have litter boxes in any living spaces. I would even consider a small closet attached to the exterior of the house with pet door access.

• polie
    12 years ago

One word of caution. Some cats won't use enclosed litterboxes. Believe me, you'll find out whether or not your cat tolerates it. As cat lovers know, some cats aren't fussy, while others are. The "outhouse" effect drove one of my cats to pee outside the enclosed litterbox after never doing such a thing, while my other cat didn't mind in the least. I'm not saying it won't work, only that it might not. Reading the mind of a cat is tough---but they're wonderful!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Basement with a pet door in the the larger people door.

• boops2012
    12 years ago

My cats box is in the laundry room. My dog use dto help himself to the contents- blech. Now you know that boy was not allowed to give kisses. Anyway, back to topic- cut a small cat sized hole in the bottom of laundry door. Easily replaced when moving.

• adriennemb2
    12 years ago

I too have a cat door cut into the basement laundry room. Overall, that works for me and the five cats as well as the dog. My only ongoing concern is that the 10 x12' room also houses the forced air gas furnace and it is said that the off-fumes from the cat litter will shorten the life of the motor.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH