Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janinnc123

Paint Color Help

janinnc123
12 years ago

Hi,

I am a new member of the forum. I recently bought a home and need to paint my living/dining area. I have tried painting sample boards and viewing them in the room but am still struggling with being able to pick the right one for the room. The space is about 20x13, with medium oak hardwood floors on half the room (dining area) and a cream/grey/brown variegated carpet in the other half of the room (living area). There is very little natural light - two east-facing windows with a large shade tree blocking the light and a north-facing bay window that also receives no direct light and is about 20 ft. away from the next house. The room is not furnished yet, so no worries about needing a color that matches the furniture.

I have been looking at Benjamin Moore colors. I want to lighten up the room (previous owner painted the walls dark blue)preferably with an off-white or light neutral color, but have heard that whites and light greys tend to look "dirty" in rooms with little natural light. I don't mind a creamy look to warm up the space, don't want something that looks too yellow or pinkish.

Some colors I've been considering include BM Mannequin Cream, Linen White, Navajo White, Manchester Tan. I haven't ruled any of them out but with the overwhelming dark blue on the walls I have trouble getting a true feel for any of them. I would be grateful for any suggestions of BM colors that may work in this room, or pictures of rooms that also receive little natural light.