Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
syc19

Powder room remodel drywall question

syc19
12 years ago

I am in the process of remodeling the powder room in our 23 year old house. The room had vinyl wallpaper, thankfully which was primed. They attached a plain mirror to the wall using some type of black adhesive. I was able to remove the mirror in one piece using a suction handle. I was very pleased to remove the mirror without breaking it but unfortunately it tore off part of the drywall paper. The largest piece that came off is about circle that has a diameter of a foot. There are three other circles that are less than six inches in diameter. Brown paper is showing but not the gypsum inside. However there are a few areas where the paper is pulled from the drywall but not removed. It was very noticeable when I sprayed the wall with wallpaper remover. Now it is hard to see and is flush with the wall.

What is the best way to prep this wall? We will be using wallpaper again in the room. From what I have read, I should use Gardz on the exposed parts and use drywall compound when it dries. Any other ideas? What should I do with the parts of the drywall that has pulled from the drywall but is still attached? Should I cut it and treat it like the other areas or leave it as is?

Thanks.

Comments (2)