Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cricket5050

Need Advice Walk in Shower - No Door

cricket5050
13 years ago

My shower area is about 4.5 feet by 4.5 feet and I am planning a tile surround with only one shower head. I am wanting to do this remodel without a door or curtain but I am worried about the space being to small for water splatter. I don't mind some splatter as long as I do not have to clean a glass door.

Does anybody have any experience or advice?

Comments (15)

• scargoz
    13 years ago

Same project, came question.

Any other input would be appreciated. Like, forget it
    and use a door? Is it too drafty without a door? I've
    never tried one, but when the current shower door is
    open - burr.

Links to possible designs would be a help. Door less or
    no door, and a very low ramp or step in is desireable
    (for later on - I only want to re-do this once now, but
    to be useful till I'm 100).

• PRO
    Rachiele Custom Sinks
    13 years ago

We have a shower without a door. I sure don't miss washing the glass door down. The bad side effect is that it gets a bit cold in the shower on a cold morning. The heat does not stay in the shower. Pros and Cons...

• sis3
    13 years ago

cricket49 we have two frameless, doorless showers and totally love them. They are so easy to keep sparkling clean. I occasionally use a Bounce dryer sheet to remove any hint of soap scum but generally I simply wipe them down with a microfiber cloth. It couldn't be easier!

The smaller one, in a guest bath, is approximately 5 feet by 3 feet. There is no problem with water splashing out even with some of my more....ummm...enthusiastic guests!!
    We live in Florida so losing heat from inside the shower is not a problem!

• woodbutcher_ca
    13 years ago

Hi, Before I retired I worked maintenance in public housing. We had a lot of handicap units that had drive in showers. Some were fiberglass and others were tile.In he tiled units the whole bathroom was tiled. No shower doors but most all had shower curtians.You may want to search for handicap showers and maybe pick up some ideas.
    Good Luck Woodbutcher

• davidro1
    13 years ago

cricket49 your layout determines the splashback when showering. Post your layout in the bathroom forum.

• talley_sue_nyc
    13 years ago

also, if you find it gets chilly, you could easily add a shower curtain.

That would cut down on the air currents (which are what make you cold), and it would eliminate the worst of the splash-back as well.

There are tension-rod types of shower-curtain rods that could be installed after construction is done. I did a Google search on "shower curtain rod tension" and found several.

You could decide how high up you wanted to mount it, and how much (or little) of a gap you needed or wanted underneath. And you could change if it, you guessed wrong the first time!

That's what I'd do. Because I'd hate to give up the dream of a doorless shower unless I absolutely had to.

Get a pair of lightweight washable shower curtains (maybe even a fabric shower-curtain liner; that's what I have from BB&B). Launder them often. I like to take one down and put up the other one right away, before I've even tossed the first one into the washer. Or you can take it down, launder,a nd put it back up, the way some people do w/ their bedsheets. Whatever works.

If it turns out that the curtain is a bit too light and blows around, you could sew hem weights to the bottom.

And to make that frequent laundering easy, get those shower-curtain hooks that let you simply lift the shower curtain off them. (I got mine at BB&B as well)
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14671579&RN=383&;

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14117768&RN=383&;

I find it works really easily now! And I don't have the mildew problems I used to get, either

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

My doorless walk in shower does not spray water where I don't want it. The shape is sort of an unclosed 9. Shower head is positioned on the loop inside the 9 at the "bottom". the water hits the wall at the top part of the 9. I live in the tundra 8 months of the year. I have a bathroom space heater no matter what kind of shower I have. This doesn't seem as cold as the old fiberglass shower I had but maybe because the whole bathroom was reconfigured and the shower is now on an inside wall. I could use a tension rod for a curtain if I wanted it but it hasn't been necessary so far. Bathroom will be a year old in August.

• sandnat
    13 years ago

Mine is a walk in 4'x 4' where one side is open 4' and I've actually tried it without a curtain and I do get overspray misting outside the shower, esp the floor. So, not sure if 6" would make a diff or not. Not that you asked but I have a small corner seat in mine that is perfect for propping up a leg for shaving. Good Luck

• attofarad
    13 years ago

Mine is 4 x 5, three shower heads. Outside is also tiled. A bit of splash out, but doesn't matter. Every time my house cleaners come, they put my bath mat by the shower -- I move it a few feet away, out of the splash zone, so the mat stays dry. I love not having a shower door.

• andrea12
    13 years ago

We are doing a kitchen remodel.. Want a side by side refrig/freezer 2 separate units that can sit side by side is prefered. I want to use a 48' set up.. Electrolux icon is to large and the 27' units by subzero are to expensive for what they are.. Does anyone have or is anyone familiar with the Northland brand?

• Gia Lum Hee
    7 years ago

Hi sis3, wondering if water spills out through the entrance, our layout calls for the same shower design but concerned that water will escape as a 3' glass wall seems short.

• dan1888
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Much depends on the water output of the shower head. Choose a shower head that uses less water than another one and you'll have a better chance of water not bouncing out. Efficient showerhead

Or for $8 you can use this non-aerating laminar flow 1.25gpm option. Laminar keeps you warmer. Niagra Earth Massage

• sis33
    7 years ago

Gias - we have not had any problems of water escaping. The flow from the shower head is not excessive, perhaps we accidentally got the water output just right! This is a guest bath, our guests always seem to enjoy the shower.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Get some mild engineering onboard, for the proper slope and drainage. Drainage, water flow are your main concerns. Also, construct in a way that would allow for a frameless door, if it ever became necessary for resale.

We just did this and I LOVE IT. No glass doors to clean. A smallish window inside the "cave" to keep it bright. A commercial, linear drain (awesome in the look) that blocks hair etc while encouraging/facilitating fast drain, with the not-noticeable but oh-so-necessary- slope.

Anybody who's done with glass doors- daily cleaning, spots between housekeeping visits? Do it, do it right, and don't look back.

And BTW- no, we don't have spray/water spills onto the floor. That's the architect and a few bucks in engineering advice.