Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarmay_gw

Can I re-hang old doors in a new location?

sarmay
11 years ago

Hello,

I am new here. I have a question about hanging doors in a different location in the house.

There was an addition built on the house many years ago that created a bonus room off of the Master Bedroom (this area used to be a covered patio area in the backyard). As a result, the master bedroom has a set of double French doors with side lights that open directly into the bonus room. The French doors afford little to no privacy.

We have two spare doors that match the other interior doors in the house. These doors were previously hung in the entries to the kitchen and laundry rooms, but have been taken down.

I would like to remove the two French doors and replace them with the two spare doors. The spare doors currently have locking door handles and notches for the hinges. In the new configuration, one of the doors would have a dummy handle and strike plate, and the other door would have a locking handle. I believe I would also need to add a trim piece and bullet latch to the door that will have the dummy handle and strike plate, to keep the doors closed and in place.

Is it possible to rehang doors in a new configuration?

Comments (3)