Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjlb

ugly ceiling - how to fix

mjlb
11 years ago

I have been looking at buying a small condo for investment purposes. Quite a few in my price range have ceilings like in the photo attached (random photo I found on-line, but has the type of ceiling that I'm describing).

I just detest seeing the expansion joints in this type of ceiling -- even in an investment property. Is there a way to smooth out the ceiling to an even plane? If the expansion joints were simply filled in, and then painted over, would the ceiling likely crack in the future?

The units that I've looked at have standard height ceilings -- probably 8-ft or a few inches less. Is there a method that would reduce ceiling height by only an inch or so?

Thanks so much for your input!

Comments (27)

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

You can dry wall the whole ceiling - a good handyman could do it. There is extra-thin drywall - I think about a quarter-inch.

• mjlb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Gina. As a complete drywall novice... how does the drywall sheet attach to the concrete? Do they have to apply some sort of strapping first, or do they screw it in?

• mjlb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Gina. As a complete drywall novice... how does the drywall sheet attach to the concrete? Do they have to apply some sort of strapping first, or do they screw it in?

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

Sorry, I didn't realize the ceiling was concrete. Yes, it would require straps - furring strips so there will be a gap between the drywall and the concrete, so your loss would be about an inch and a quarter.

• mike_kaiser_gw
    11 years ago

Furring strips would need to be used. They'd be attached to the concrete with masonry screws, then drywall could be put up, screwing into the wood.

• mjlb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I hate to lose even an inch in ceiling that but it's worth it.

• doug_gb
    11 years ago

That is NOT an easy job attaching the furring strips to a concrete ceiling. Nor is it a job for a handyman, if you want the ceiling to look good.

• mjlb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Doug -- But a drywall contractor (rather than handyman) could handle and make look good? Thanks.

• doug_gb
    11 years ago

I'm sure a drywall contractor would do a good job.

I wanted to point out that gina_w made the job sound like it was something for a handyman - it isn't - and it's going to cost some money.

• doug_gb
    11 years ago

I also want to say: The ceiling looks sound and clean. You're spending money on something that is completely cosmetic.

Maybe it would be better to spend the money on carpet, fixtures, countertops, etc.. Just a thought.

• mjlb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Doug - you are no doubt right, but I just can't stand that type of ceiling. Well maybe I could if it were a large space with high ceilings, but no such luck.

As far as "costing some money" -- would you want to hazard a guess for a condo of about 700 sq. ft.?

• greg_2010
    11 years ago

But you are going to be renting this out, right? No offense, but it seems ridiculous to spend money on this just because you don't like the look. If it was a common consensus that that type of ceiling looked bad, then I'd say go ahead. But I think most people wouldn't care.

If you were going to live there and didn't like it, then go ahead and change it.

• mjlb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No offense taken (I know I have foibles!)

No, I plan to sell the unit after making improvements. While I don't like those ceilings ever, I particularly don't like them 'here' because the units have long, narrow rooms, and the expansion joints accentuate the poor proportions. Some of the joints are fairly wide and deep, which looks like black lines drawn on the ceiling.

I wonder if plastering the ceiling is an option, or would the plaster crack due to movement of the expansion joints? I'd be curious to know, altho' my assumption is that would be even more expensive.

• doug_gb
    11 years ago

Here's a guess - just a guess: $1,500 to sheet rock 700 sq ft ceiling + $1,000 to install 1 x 3 furring strips around the entire perimiter of the rooms + 16" on center + $750 to paint the ceiling. Somewhere around $3,250 is my guess.

It seems like a waste of money. Why not put in granite countertops / better faucets / new carpet - something the next person will actually use.

• mjlb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the ballpark pricing, doug. I'll be doing 'all of the above' improvements if I buy the unit. (People really expect the moon these days.) OTOH, another condo that I've been considering doesn't have the ceiling issue, and has a better layout. Both are in nice areas, but the 'bad ceiling' unit is much more walkable and trendy, I guess.

• Fori
    11 years ago

If it's a trendy area, perhaps you could look into doing the whole condo in a modern contemporary industrial sort of look. Make the ceilings work for you!

• Gina_W
    11 years ago

I'm sorry again, I agree with doug, and I have to remember that the "handymen" I use are both retired GCs with tons of experience.

Sometimes I pop in to a thread at night and pop out a quick answer. :)

• renovator8
    11 years ago

It appears that the ceiling is actually structural precast planks that form the floor above. The joints are not intended to be expansion joints; the joints of this kind of floor are grouted solid and are not expected to move. An expansion joint in a concrete floor system would occur where it would not be noticed or cause acoustic problems.

Precast concrete planks have prestressed steel reinforcing cables close to the bottom surface. Attaching anything to the concrete will require installing anchors either power-driven or pre-drilled into the bottom of the concrete planks and the reinforcing could be damaged.

The structure of a condominium is owned in common by the unit owners so you will need written permission from the condominium association trustees and they will probably want a letter from a structural engineer.

You probably won't be able to know if this is possible before you buy the unit.

I would try to find a unit without this problem.

• mjlb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Renovator8 -- I knew they were structural precast planks, but I had no idea that the gaps between were not expansion joints -- VERY good to know -- especially if I could damage structure.

Knowing that, tho', makes me wonder whether plastering over those gaps might be a relatively inexpensive solution?

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Plastering is NEVER an inexpensive solution. I'm afraid the solution is more for you than for the ceiling. You have to get over wanting to "do something" about them here. It is a waste of time and money to even think about it. Even if you were living there, it'd be ill considered to try to alter their appearance. For a unit that you will never even occupy, it's distracting you from focusing on the real issues. And that is whether the condo is a low enough price to be able to flip within a set budget and still be profitable if the market remains sluggish and it stays for sale for an extended period. The margins on flips are slim enough without adding in expensive work that will never see a return on the investment.

• mjlb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know... I'm like a dog with a bone...

I gather that 'block filler' is used to smooth imperfections in concrete and other items. Could it be used to fill in the gaps between the planks, or would it likely fall out or otherwise fail eventually? I got the idea from this question/answer on the pcine.org website. Thanks for your comments (even the ones pointing out that I am obsessing about something that most buyers will not notice.)

1. How can I finish off the bottom of the plank?
      The plank bottoms can be finished to provide a durable, maintenance free ceiling for the room below. Planks are suitable for the application of a medium to heavy textured acoustical material such as USG Imperial QT or equal. Planks may require a Block Filler prior to the application of sprayed textured acoustical material.

Here is a link that might be useful: PCI Northeast

• mjlb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, I'm convinced that this is too much work, and too much money.

But, in the interest of thoroughness, I did find a description of how to cover the plank ceiling joints, as an alternative to hanging sheet rock. As a 'civilian', it sounds to me like hanging sheet rock/drywall would be easier, but still too costly. But maybe for the NEXT project.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to finish plank to make jointless

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Why not embrace it and turn it into a faux tray ceiling. You could take strips of wood and glue them into place to form the squares. In the areas where you'd want the joint to look 'solid' you could use a flat piece of wood or composite and paint it to look like the background color. Hopefully that makes sense. There are many designs you could do, and they wouldn't have to be contrasting. Tone on tone would also look great.

You may get other ideas if you post on the GW Home Decor Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tray ceiling

• bridget helm
    11 years ago

i've never seen ceilings like this. could you put wood beams to hide the lines? just a thought

• mjlb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Ann and bmh. Like both of your ideas for a different ceiling surface.

But Renovator8 (see above) cautioned that attaching anything to those slabs could damage the reinforcing cables. I would need permission from the condo assoc and possibly sign-off from a structural engineer. Kinda' takes all the fun out of it!

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Adhesive wouldn't have any effect on the reinforcing cables. You'd just be putting on enough adhesive to hold up the small pieces of wood, followed up with a little caulk and paint. If you're dealing with HOA then you probably have to get the OK for any changes you make.
    Another option is to paint the ceiling a color other than white. White just gives more of a contrast to every shadow and crack.

One more option: add a simple crown molding to give the illusion that the stripes don't continue forever!

• mjlb
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You're right, annz... I didn't notice the adhesive part - that wouldn't do any harm.