Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kammererk_gw

Ideas for a dog sink

kammererk
12 years ago

In our remodeling project, we're converting our attached garage into a laundry room/mudroom (and pantry, powder room, entry and part kitchen). We have 2 dogs, the largest is 30lbs. Right now we have to wash their paws off in the sink - we probably wash them off almost everytime they come back in because we have 6 acres and lots of mud. The primary purpose of the sink in the new laundry room is for dog washing. Any suggestions on what type of sink we should use (we want it elevated to make it easier on our backs) and where the plumbing should be located?

From 2012-02-02

Comments (12)

• jonnyp
    12 years ago

Add a shower stall w/ a hand held sprayer.

• _sophiewheeler
    12 years ago

Make that powder room the first thing off of the door and put in a real shower with a long hosed hand held shower. No lifting of the dog needed. That's too hard on your back. You just keep them on lead and target the feet with the water stream. Easy. Put in the reinforcement to have grab bars in it and you have something sturdy to clip them to if you need an extra hand getting to the mud stuck to their bellies. Or add a flip up shower bench for some height for them to jump onto. Then you can just wash all the mud down the drain. I'd put in an extra hair catcher in the drain too.

It'll work great when you've been out weed whacking and are covered in green goo too. Just keep a robe on the hook of the door and the clothes can go into the washer, you into the shower, and none of it will track through the house.

• mtc1
    12 years ago

I don't even have a dog, but I have this bookmarked on Houzz just incase!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: [How cool is this?[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/san-francisco-custom-multi-use-garage-contemporary-entry-san-francisco-phvw-vp~46032)

• worthy
    12 years ago

Here's a doggie shower I built in a mudroom.

Photo: Heather Joy Investments Ltd.

• Susan
    12 years ago

yup, a shower with a hand held thingie works great.

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

A dual purpose people/dog shower is the best bang for your buck.

• worthy
    12 years ago

Eww!

• arch123
    12 years ago

A standard tub elevated about 24" off the floor with a toe kick works well for us.
    Also the hand held shower. We use this for bathing the dogs not just washing their feet off.

• live_wire_oak
    12 years ago

If you've ever had a 110 pound dog that didn't want to be bathed, you wouldn't want to be elevating anything. The best way is a walk in shower with handheld shower and tether, and yeah, you and the dog both get wet at the same time. It's kinda impossible to do it without you getting soaked, even with them tied so you might as well not get your clothes wet too. If you're that squeamish about that, then maybe you're just not quite cut out for dog ownership! Because really, every time you bathe a dog, you need to express their anal glands as well. That's just not something I think you really want to do at eye level.

• arch123
    12 years ago

For a 110 pound dog I would use this

Here is a link that might be useful: dog wash

• andersons21
    12 years ago

I also have a laundry room sink which I want to use to clean dog's paws and maybe even baths/partial baths. I would rather lift them so that I don't have to bend over the whole time I'm cleaning them. My current laundry sink is nice and deep, 12", which is great, but it's too small, probably like 15 X 15.

So, I am thinking of replacing the whole sink/counter on the 36" cabinet with the Domsjo kitchen sink from Ikea, and installing a tall faucet with a long sprayer. The Ikea sink is not as deep, but it is huge. It will work with my Standard Poodles standing with hind legs in one basin and front legs in the other.

I have washed my dog's muddy legs in my sister's kitchen with a typical-size (30" wide? 33"?) double bowl sink with a sprayer, and it worked great.

I do use my shower, with a spray showerhead, to give them baths, but I would much rather have them elevated than have to bend over the entire time. However, in the laundry room sink, I'd be afraid they might shake suds, or they definitely would shake a lot of our super-hard water all around the room. This is not a problem in a shower stall, but would be a cleanup chore for the laundry room. I might try immediately wrapping them in a huge towel after rinsing them in the laundry room sink, and if that doesn't work, I'm looking for a teak bench I could put into the shower stall during dog bath time. (Shower is too small for a permanent bench).