Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krystinaklein

Contractors

KrystinaKlein
12 years ago

We've hired a general contractor to renovate our 76 year old house in Toronto, Ontario. The reno is for the kitchen and knob and tube. Sorry about all the questions, any advice would be much appreciated.

1. For the knob and tube, the cost came out to about $11,000 to do 75% of the house and is within the price range of their bid. But now they said they have to charge us $3,000 to $4,000 to patch the walls, $9,600 to patch/replace the plaster ceiling on the 1st and 2nd flr, and then $5,200 to replace the crown moulding on the 1st and 2nd floor (either the plaster moulding broke or they wired over the moulding to save the electrician cost). There was no mention of this anywhere on their bid. Are the costs reasonable? They said it's the most cost effectively way of dealing with the aftermath of the knob and tube update.

2. Is $2,100 reasonable for 3.25" quarter sawn cut oak hardwood floors for the kitchen which is about 85sf, it includes sand, stain (to match dining rm), 3 coating.

3. Is $2,600 reasonable for the plumbing which includes, relocating the sink drain and vent, removal of plumbing from previous wall, installing dishwasher, sink and faucet?

4. Is $1,600 reasonable for installing owner supplied backsplash (less than 30sf)?

5. Is $1,800 reasonable to do hood exhaust and gas hook up for the stove?

6. It seems like they are charging us a premium for every little thing, it's not like his crew goes to the house separately just to do each items separately, they are there already doing things, I would have thought there would be some cost savings there. But they charge $900 to install the fridge, and stove, range hood. Every item have come in at the maximum end of the range in their bid. While I don't want to make every little item a point of discussion, and I don't want to be unreasonable, it feels like they keep charging little bits here and there on top of the knob and tube aftermath fix up, it's completely blown our budget and we've already taken various items off the scope (painting, bathroom). Is this normal or is the contractor taking advantage of us? How should we deal with this professionally with them?

Comments (3)

• User
    12 years ago

Rewiring never includes the repair of the wall after. That's always extra. Plaster is a lot more labor intensive to repair than drywall. Your numbers aren't out of line with getting someone who actually has experience with plaster and know what they are doing.

All of the rest of your costs seem average to low for your location. Construction in Toronto is more expensive than even most notoriously expensive East Coast US locations.

• EngineerChic
    12 years ago

Charging $900 to install a gas stove (using new flex hose), and a vent hood that vents to the outside, and a fridge that requires a water line for ice/water isn't too awful. I think we paid about $250 for a gas range installation and $175 for the vent hood (with DH helping on the vent hood). If they are doing this without any input/assistance from you then $900 is reasonable provided they complete the work to your satisfaction. That means the stove is levelled front to back AND side to side, the fridge is levelled, and the vent hood is adequately flashed on the outside and the door/flapper operates well. Some of the charge may be related to running a new gas line or new vent lines outside, as well.

It's never too late to get a second bid, though, and if something doesn't feel right with this guy you should do that. You might want to call a tile setter about the backsplash, for instance, since that's something I wouldn't have a generalist do (too easy to mess up and mistakes are easily seen).

The price you got to replace the knob & tube seems like a good one, BTW. But can I ask why you only did 75% of the house? Was the other 25% already done, or is it harder to access, or ...?

• KrystinaKlein
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your response. Regarding the $900, it is just installation, there is a separate charge for gas line and new vents. They did give a range of $500 to $900, so maybe they will come in at closer to $500. Thanks for your numbers though, gives me an idea of what it should generally cost.

I agree about the backsplash, it really doesn't hurt to ask around, if not to get some comfort in their number. I will take into your consideration about getting someone who has tiling experience.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be unclear. Our house is 75% knob and tube, the rest of it is 25% new.

I agree that it is more difficult to patch plaster. I think I am nervous about the numbers because they are so shockingly high to me. I guess I am just looking to see if anyone may have an idea as to the reasonability of these prices.