Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ctg402

Kitchen/Living Room Remodel

ctg402
11 years ago

Hi - New to the forum and looking for some opinions. We are planning on taking down the wall between the kitchen and living room and wanted to get input on what cabinets and appliances you would go with.

Pics should be posted below.

The wall that currently has the microwave/oven on it is the wall that will be coming halfway down, with the counters/base cabinets remaining in place and seating on the living room side of the countertops.

Were trying to decide what would work best in our house, since its a bit different then the look nowadays, that has all white molding, we have the oak, which we like since its different then most nowadays. Anyways, we out initial plan was to maybe go white cabinets and white appliances with a light to medium grey countertop. Were undecided on how that would look, so this is where we want some ideas/help.

We are open to painting the cabinets or staining them darker (not replacing them, previous homeowners upgraded them and they are fairly nice cabinets), appliances can be changed out, and countertops can be whatever.

Feel free to get creative...

Thanks Chris

Comments (11)

• ctg402
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Pic 2

• ctg402
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic3

• ctg402
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Living Room 1

• ctg402
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last One

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Yup keep your oak.

Then, go to this thread in the Kitchen forum where they experimented and thought about ways to incorporate oak cabs... (see link below)

Here is a link that might be useful: keeping oak cabinets

• renovator8
    11 years ago

The most important improvement you can make is to move the fan elsewhere and install less glaring lighting at the task areas.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

The major issue to my eye is the lack of any harmony or consistency in design, color or finishes. There's one of everything. Look carefully at the photos and count the number of different materials, colors and finishes!

You may be well served to look for ways to reduce the number of materials, colors and finishes and to create a greater overall consistency. If you don't know where to start, begin by reviewing those items that will remain and look for eays to make the other new or renewd items harmonious with them.

Good luck on your project!

• mjlb
    11 years ago

From what I can see in the photos, I would think removing the wall behind range (without relocating range) would be quite awkward. It looks like the kitchen currently opens onto a family room that is not your living room?

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Post an overhead measured diagram of the space if you want some meaningful assistance.

• erinsean
    11 years ago

My advice would be for the kitchen to move the small table to the center of the wall...may have to move the ovrhead light. Then remove the fan and put pendants over the bar....easy with track lighting. The living room looks cluttered. The dining room like chair and table need to be removed, and the black leather chair needs brought out of the corner and put flat against the wall...take half of your pillows out of the room and maybe put an aqua throw on your couch to match the aqua pillow. No pillows on the leather chair...just the small table and tourchir by it. Remember, I have always heard and found that less is more. Also at a later date, a nice rug that goes under the front legs of your sectional and coffee table would b nice...maybe some aqua, brown and lime green in it.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I think I need a plan view- where will your range go? You already appear to have counter seating at the island- are you thinking about removing the island and putting the range there? Where will the fridge go?

I like your floors and your oak trim.