Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front porch needs a cover - please help

Posted by kbedwards (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 14:26

Hi All:

Just wondering how I can solve this front porch design dilemma - photo attached for reference.

As you can see, there is no covering over front door, so any time it rains, it is EXTREMELY uncomfortable coming in or out of that door, due to rain itself, as well as dripping off roof, gutters, etc. Not to mention the mess it makes, stains, rot, etc. due to the splashing onto all surfaces.

When you walk out of the door, and look up, there is literally nothing above you, as the roof line above front door does not extend at all over porch.

A GC buddy recommended adding a shingled frame over the top entry window, but that seems pretty high to me - wouldn't the rain blow in if your cover is that high?

Would it look ugly to add a roof section BETWEEN the transom and the upper window? So many roof lines and angles, not sure how that would look.

I will post another pic from a different angle as well, in post below.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front porch needs a cover - please help

different angle

o

That's a bad design if you want a roof over that door.

My only thought is to get rid of the upper window and continue the existing roor line across the porch.

Good luck.

o

Thanks, Zagut. I would prefer to keep the large window. I wonder if I just removed the transom window, if that would allow enough space to put some kind of roof or cover in there (under the big window, but above the door)?

o

I'd look for images of colonial revival houses from the first part of the 20th century (or I suppose the real thing) for inspiration. Your house is sort of a take on colonial, just with less symmetry.

You'd have to do something like putting columns that match the things flanking the door out a few feet and tack on a roof...something like this, but take it down a few notches. This is a little grandiose.

Here is a link that might be useful: for example...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here