Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tan or white roof? I have to decide today.

Posted by rockybird (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 13 at 14:26

I have a midcentury modern home by a locally famous architect. The previous owner built up the roof so that it ruined the architecture. I ripped it off and am putting on a new foam roof. It is a flat roof. I am at the base of a mountain, but not a hillside lot. A few homes look down on me. The house will be painted light grey.

I have to decide if I should have a tan or white roof today. I am thinking white would go better with the paint color, although you really cant see the roof unless you are driving up to the house from the elevated ground around it. Or would tan be better with the rock? I live in a hot state, so think this might reflect more. Below is a pic of the house with the hideous built up roof torn off. Help!

Below is the after pic (roof in progress) and the before with the fascia removed:

photo 1360091162_zps952799c8.jpg

photo 1360080037_zpse46e2fe1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tan or white roof? I have to decide today.

white.
white roofs are the most energy efficient.

and besides white looks better with gray.
IMO.

o

Thanks! I chose white. :)

o

I'm late to the thread, but I concur in the choice of white. I think it's the best option for your location. Can't wait to see more of the house. I hope all is going well!

o

Your house is beautiful. I like the white too.

o

Thanks hosenemesis and jakabedy! It's going okay..see my post above about the foam! They left an ugly blob of foam visible from the backyard on the chimney. They say it is necessary, but I cant see that everyone puts up with that!

Next, I start the stucco and painting. Still needs more work, but have to do this as my budget allows.

o

Nice work!

I'm late to the party, but white is the way to go. My mildly sloping roof was 185 degrees in the afternoon sun, but since I painted it white, it now only reaches 105 degrees in late afternoon. Inside it is noticeably cooler and the air conditioner easily handles the hottest days.

o

white is the way to go to keep attic & roof decking cool.
if you have ductwork in the vented attic hotter that the
air surrounding ducts/equipment is 115-110 degrees
than 130+ degrees.

but as far as white roofs being more efficient....
I"m repeating myself.

do the white roof...you'll be happy
with the performance & energy savings.

best of luck OP.

o

Thanks guys! I did the white roof and am really happy that I did. You all gave great advice!

o

Oooooh! You're back! No fair sneaking in and not giving us an update on your place. We MCM'ers hafta stick together, yaknow!

o

Guys,

The white roof worked so well on the house that I had to paint my garage roof too.

I had a separate garage with black roof, no a/c, which always felt like a blast furnace when you stepped inside. It was always as hot as an attic in Summer. Now, after painting the roof white, it is cooler than the outside air temperature. So white is definitely the way to go in a sunny environment!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here