Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kidhorn

Small Change to plans for an addition

kidhorn
12 years ago

I'm having an addition built onto my house. basement and ground floor. 384 sq ft per floor. Permits have been issued but construction hasn't started.

I want to make one small change. There's a storage closet on the main floor that I want to make 18" wider. There's easily enough space to accomodate it. Originally it's supposed to have 1 double prehung doors and now I want to have 2 single pre hung doors with a 18" wide gap in between. Basically make the closet 18" wider (from 5' to 6.5') and stick 18" of drywall and framing in between. Plus an extra 18" of shelf x 5 shelves. The reason I want this is so I can place a rear surround speaker at ear level instead of above the door. Plus an extra 18" of storage is nice.

The closet is located in the center of a cathedral ceiling that peaks at about 13' tall and is 2' deep. It has 5 storage shelves. None of the walls are load bearing. Construction is standard 2x4 frames and normal drywall.

I have 2 questions...

Is this going to require resubmittal for permits? I've been told all along they're willing to make adjustments as the project goes on and this, IMO, is a reasonable adjustment. I don't think this effects anything inspection wise. I know this varies from place to place, but is there any realistic chance this will require new permits?

How much would you expect the extra cost to be? A few hundred, maybe up to $500, is what I think would be reasonable.

Comments (2)