Return to the Remodeling Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wall cabinets hung from ceiling

Posted by funfarm (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 11 at 14:10

Hello,
I am just starting the demo of my kitchen in preparation for a remodel. There are (or were) 11" soffits above all of the wall cabinets. I am removing the soffits right now in preparation for installing beadboard panels. Eventually, I am going to remove and replace all of the cabinets, but I thought I could get a head start by just removing the soffits and installing the beadboard above the wall-hung cabinets. There are some cabinets over a peninsula that I knew I was going to have to remove as I knew they would be supported from the ceiling. What I didn't expect is to see that ALL of the wall cabinets are supported this way - even the pantry cabinets that appear to go floor to ceiling. These were site-built and all 3/4" birch plywood. I think these could have survived a nuclear blast!!

So, those of you that are familiar with older construction - was this typical? I can't tell for sure if they are also supported on the wall but I won't assume this.

Any ideas? Am I right in assuming I will likely have to totally remove all of the uppers? There is only one wall cabinet 0 the "china" display cabinet that appears to have been hung on the wall like I ould have expected.
Any input would be appreciated.

Regards, Dean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wall cabinets hung from ceiling

No matter how they are hung, the cabinets should come out to do the work you describe. It's easier, safer, and much quicker. Then reinstall them.

o
RE: wall cabinets hung from ceiling

Thanks Homebound.
Yeah, I think you're right. Even if the framing that ties the cabinets to the ceiling could stay, I think it would be much easier to install the beadboard without the cabinets there. Maybe I'll just set the cabinets on the floor against the wall so we don't have to box up all the contents.

Thanks again, Dean

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Remodeling Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here